Fishroom burnout

Jimmy

Just checking back in. Life got a little crazy since I built this tiny fish room back in august of 2021. It’s footprint is 7x7 and houses 21 10 gallon aquariums and 6 20 longs. I had great ambitions initially but between starting a new job and adding a 4th child to an existing young line up the progression came to a standstill.

Fast forward to the last week or two I’m slowing regaining control. I had a significant problem with green water and I took half measures trying to fix it. Primarily the issue is with the 10 gallons, the immaturity even with low bio load seemed to still spark quite a muck. I have really low light leds that originally were on only 8 hours a day. I’ve tried long black out periods and water changing.

I’m back on the water changes and adopted the siesta method. 4 hours on 4 hours off and  then 4 hours on in the evening. 

Only about half the aquariums have livestock. I’ve been drooling heavily of all the listings on dans fish, I’m sure everyone can relate.

image.jpeg

• Like 4

• Administrators

My best advice, get a chair. Make it so you can sit in there and at least browse your phone.  Currently you can only be in there and work. Especially as it gets colder, sitting in the warm room is awesome and you'll notice the fish doing more odd things more often.

On 10/15/2022 at 1:39 PM, B7gwap said:

Looks great, what are your plans with all this capacity? Looks like maybe breeding for profit? What sort of critters do you have? Keep it up! 

Initially it was livebearers  but we have really soft acidic water here and I don’t particularly care to mess with parameters. The 20 longs I had dreamed of doing strictly cories.

I have a few guppy strains, white clouds, shrimp, rice fish, lampeyes. I might lean more into diminutive tetras and rasporas.

I live in a rural area so my motivation for breeding for profit isn’t really there. I tend to give stuff for free. I have no interest in shipping.

On 10/15/2022 at 3:57 PM, Patrick_G said:

I think I would  set up a couple of these tanks to produce plant mass. Java moss, Pogostemon stellatus, Wisteria, Guppy grass etc would be perfect. 

funny you should mention that.
One of my things the last few days is I started breaking up my huge masses of guppy grass and putting it in the cloudy/green water tanks. Over the years I’ve thrown buckets of pogo out but I’m gonna start floating it in the room.

On 10/15/2022 at 3:44 PM, lefty o said:

still looks good, and a little green water dont hurt anything. i agree with Cory, get a chair so you can plop down in there in actually watch the tanks.

I actually want algae. I have film algaes in some of the tanks and even string algae. The pea soup is great for my fry but I negates my level of interest for viewing once it turns.

last couple days I’ve been going out there with coffee and giving it a good stare!

On 10/15/2022 at 3:03 PM, Cory said:

My best advice, get a chair. Make it so you can sit in there and at least browse your phone.  Currently you can only be in there and work. Especially as it gets colder, sitting in the warm room is awesome and you'll notice the fish doing more odd things more often.

Huge fan Cory! I love when it’s cold and I step into a warm room. I spent a lot of time last winter in my boxers out there with a cup of coffee in hand. Eventually I’d like to chase down more rare tetras and corys to stand apart. I’m an hour and a half south of the coop maybe one day it will be worth documenting. 

On 10/15/2022 at 3:01 PM, Flumpweesel said:

Congratulations on the life changes, I'm sure you'll have that fish room ticking over nicely in no time

Life and wife willing! Lol

• Like 2

Looks like a great room! Even if you don’t want to ship fish, you might help support the room shipping plants— after all, I paid someone from Etsy to mail me some duckweed,lol. And guppy grass, floaters etc that stores here don’t sell.

Anyway, I hope you can get back to enjoying your space!

Edited by PineSong
typo
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 5:16 PM, PineSong said:

Looks like a great room! Even if you don’t want to ship fish, you might help support the room shipping plants— after all, I paid someone from Etsy to mail me some duckweed,lol. And guppy grass, floaters etc that stored here don’t sell.

Anyway, I hope you can get back to enjoying your space!

That is one idea! Thanks for the good wishes. I documented the build process quite thoroughly not sure if you have seen it. You can find it in my signature.

I wouldn’t mind documenting something else in relation to the room for the forum but not sure what.

• Like 1