New background plant ideas

Hello everyone I have had this 29g aquarium running for about a year now and I’m really starting to be over the amount of stem trimming and replanting I have to do! I am quite busy working two jobs so I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for some other background plants that won’t grow as quickly. I do have pressurized co2 and I have hard water living in Arizona. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I was thinking about some Java fern. I struggled with that in the past in a low tech tank I’ve never tried it with co2606EF024-2BDE-4889-BAD4-4AE7BD2CD25E.jpeg.abfc34a721b097b70169a511cbcaacab.jpeg

On 10/15/2022 at 11:26 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

That is actually pretty cool I’d like to do something like that in my shrimp tank! The thing I like about the stems is the pops of different colors rather than just green as most of the other plants are green besides 1 species of crypt. I’ve never tried swords and I know there’s lots of different types and color variety. Would any of those do well in a 29 or will they all grow too massive? 

Your tank looks great!! What about Vallisneria Nana, Hygrophila Siamensis 53b, intermixed with the Rotala. Perhaps some Potamogeton gayi mixed in, too. So, decrease the amount of rotata and mix in the other two/three for variation? Yes, some of these are stems that would need trimming, but maybe (?) not as quickly?  Maybe add some java fern in the mid grown between the wood? You could also decrease the background plants to just be around the wood - basically more of an island look.

On the hand, you could add skinnier manzanita style branches on their side between and use buce, java fern, and moss to create a background of sorts - more open but interesting visually.

• Love 1

On 10/15/2022 at 1:01 PM, PedroPete said:

Your tank looks great!! What about Vallisneria Nana, Hygrophila Siamensis 53b, intermixed with the Rotala. Perhaps some Potamogeton gayi mixed in, too. So, decrease the amount of rotata and mix in the other two/three for variation? Yes, some of these are stems that would need trimming, but maybe (?) not as quickly?  Maybe add some java fern in the mid grown between the wood? You could also decrease the background plants to just be around the wood - basically more of an island look.

On the hand, you could add skinnier manzanita style branches on their side between and use buce, java fern, and moss to create a background of sorts - more open but interesting visually.

Wow Pedro I like the way you think!! Minimize the amount of rotala and mix in some other types of background plants that way I still keep the colors, but I can hopefully mix some new leaf shapes and textures in. I’ve thought about adding more wood but enjoy the ease of cleaning not having to deal with branches. Although it would really add to my very minimal hardscape. I may try a few slower growing species to limit my amount of trimming and see what grows best for me! I appreciate you giving me some great ideas!

• Like 1

Here is a flame sword that was just about dead from being grazed on by 1 juvenile bristlenose. Two months in a 29 with Fluorite Red and some Home Depot fence post gravel has made it very happy. 6687DFAD-D5AA-410C-A216-9AB144F203D1.jpeg.f19963199c4727f008d7d1369eaefaa1.jpeg

Crypt. Spiralis is also an awesome slow growing low light background plant. (The long skinny green ones in the back)

Also Crypt. Wendtii (the bronze red one in the middle with crinkled/hammered leaves) can grow rather tall but takes a long time to get there. 90FCD570-6C7F-402E-A048-AB8CF4055970.jpeg.ff80800617c18c8157cf916b7cc463de.jpeg

• Love 1

On 10/15/2022 at 1:31 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I love swords, but they get massive if left unchecked. I had one take over my 29 and when I moved it to a 55 it now takes up 1/3  of that tank lol

Holy smokes yeah that’s what I was afraid of! I think I’ll steer clear of swords for this tank! Thanks for your help.

On 10/15/2022 at 2:11 PM, B7gwap said:

Here is a flame sword that was just about dead from being grazed on by 1 juvenile bristlenose. Two months in a 29 with Fluorite Red and some Home Depot fence post gravel has made it very happy. 6687DFAD-D5AA-410C-A216-9AB144F203D1.jpeg.f19963199c4727f008d7d1369eaefaa1.jpeg

Crypt. Spiralis is also an awesome slow growing low light background plant. (The long skinny green ones in the back)

Also Crypt. Wendtii (the bronze red one in the middle with crinkled/hammered leaves) can grow rather tall but takes a long time to get there. 90FCD570-6C7F-402E-A048-AB8CF4055970.jpeg.ff80800617c18c8157cf916b7cc463de.jpeg

The sword looks awesome I love all the details on the leaves and variation of color. Does the crypt spiralis grow all over the place or in mostly an upward direction? I always love me some crypts. I have Wendtii green gecko and then Affinis red in there at the moment.

On 10/15/2022 at 3:42 PM, Patrick_G said:

I really like your current scape but I understand wanting to reduce maintenance. I think a bit of wood with different epiphytes might look good. I'm thinking narrow leaf java fern, various buce and some anubias. You could leave a clump of rotala for a pop of red. 

Thanks Patrick. Do you think more branchy wood might look funny with the big piece of mopani I have in there now? It doesn’t look very big because half is covered with moss and the crypts are starting to hide the other end of it. Narrow leaf Java fern was definitely one I’d like to add it always creates an instant impact!

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 4:35 PM, Slick_Nick said:

The sword looks awesome I love all the details on the leaves and variation of color. {thanks I had no idea how red they can get until now, I think fluorite red has a lot of laterite clay fired into it or something. Very iron-y} Does the crypt spiralis grow all over the place or in mostly an upward direction? {just up, never more than 12-16 inches that I’ve seen. If you let it go for long enough it will start a new colony underground via rhizome/runner/root/whatever.} I always love me some crypts. I have Wendtii green gecko and then Affinis red in there at the moment. {I have come to love crypts too for what appears the same reason you do: low maintenance, look great, too, lots of variety.

Edited by B7gwap
Bold responses
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2022 at 4:22 PM, Slick_Nick said:

Thanks Patrick. Do you think more branchy wood might look funny with the big piece of mopani I have in there now? It doesn’t look very big because half is covered with moss and the crypts are starting to hide the other end of it. Narrow leaf Java fern was definitely one I’d like to add it always creates an instant impact!

I think the branchy stuff would look nice arching over the existing wood. Like these pics but with your mopani. 

76B60CF6-8F0D-475F-8B2A-4C72034C7233.jpeg

D0BA08F7-D75A-4AD9-9CC8-889FC4EC61CF.jpeg

• Love 1

On 10/18/2022 at 12:36 PM, Patrick_G said:

I think the branchy stuff would look nice arching over the existing wood. Like these pics but with your mopani. 

76B60CF6-8F0D-475F-8B2A-4C72034C7233.jpeg

D0BA08F7-D75A-4AD9-9CC8-889FC4EC61CF.jpeg

Awesome I’ll have to keep my eye out for some nice pieces of wood this weekend when I go to my lfs. Hopefully I can find something that fits in nicely!

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 10:40 AM, JettsPapa said:

Cryptocoryne usteriana is my new favorite plant, and should work well there.  It has crinkled leaves that are green on top and reddish bronze underneath, and reaches the top of my 40 gallon breeder tank.

I already ordered plants and ended up getting balansae to try along with some other plants. I’ll keep that one in mind for the future I love all crypts. Do you have any photos of it? 

• Like 2

On 10/18/2022 at 12:56 PM, Slick_Nick said:

Awesome I’ll have to keep my eye out for some nice pieces of wood this weekend when I go to my lfs. Hopefully I can find something that fits in nicely!

Is aquarium wood crazy expensive in your area?  The other day I was browsing the LFS and was looking at two cool medium sized pieces, but they were both over $100. I think $85 and $140! 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 1:10 PM, Patrick_G said:

Is aquarium wood crazy expensive in your area?  The other day I was browsing the LFS and was looking at two cool medium sized pieces, but they were both over $100. I think $85 and $140! 

Patrick it has been quite some time since I’ve purchased any wood so I may be in for a shock with the price. I know it’s kind of a big gap but I believe I paid somewhere between $20-$40 for a medium size piece of driftwood. What type of wood was it for that price maybe something special?

On 10/18/2022 at 3:03 PM, Slick_Nick said:

I already ordered plants and ended up getting balansae to try along with some other plants. I’ll keep that one in mind for the future I love all crypts. Do you have any photos of it? 

Here is one.  Please ignore the algae on a few of the older leaves.  I have the light running too long in this tank, and I'm not smart enough to adjust the timer.  I need to get my son to do it.

image.png.bb9733a74f5325d8dbed0221d127e431.png

• Love 1

On 10/19/2022 at 5:37 AM, JettsPapa said:

Here is one.  Please ignore the algae on a few of the older leaves.  I have the light running too long in this tank, and I'm not smart enough to adjust the timer.  I need to get my son to do it.

image.png.bb9733a74f5325d8dbed0221d127e431.png

That is a really nice looking crypt and like you said looks like it grows quite big. The ruffled texture of the leaves is awesome! No worries on the algae I have my problem spots as well! The bad part is I know how to adjust my lights I just haven’t done it 🤣 a little algae doesn’t bother me though! Probably gonna have to dial my lighting back some now with the Java fern trident mini and other stuff I have coming. Plants will be here today but I’ll have to wait until this weekend to get them situated where I want them

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 10:18 AM, Slick_Nick said:

That is a really nice looking crypt and like you said looks like it grows quite big. The ruffled texture of the leaves is awesome! No worries on the algae I have my problem spots as well! The bad part is I know how to adjust my lights I just haven’t done it 🤣 a little algae doesn’t bother me though! Probably gonna have to dial my lighting back some now with the Java fern trident mini and other stuff I have coming. Plants will be here today but I’ll have to wait until this weekend to get them situated where I want them

One thing I like about the Cryptocoryne usteriana is that it sends out runners with new plants.  I've tried a couple of other crypts that just seem to sit there and don't do that (Cryptocoryne spiralis is one of them).

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 8:52 AM, JettsPapa said:

One thing I like about the Cryptocoryne usteriana is that it sends out runners with new plants.  I've tried a couple of other crypts that just seem to sit there and don't do that (Cryptocoryne spiralis is one of them).

My Wendtii are the only crypts I have that have sent out runners. I eventually tore a tank down because they took over most of the tank the roots are impressive. I got all kinds of baby plants out of it! 411E3BCA-DB3B-4E69-A402-C5FF03CAEC34.jpeg.2389df4d7c0f5acd04747261194f30aa.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 3:42 PM, Patrick_G said:

I really like your current scape but I understand wanting to reduce maintenance. I think a bit of wood with different epiphytes might look good.

Agreed.  This tank looks like it's craving some dutch style big plant bushes that look amazing.  The background is really cool, but it's a ton of potential there because of how well the plants are doing.  Hygro Pinnatifida would be epic to compliment the tank in some way.

• Like 1