Coroner's report please . . .

tolstoy21

Ok so my female apisto died today. 

I had a sneaking feeling something was up, because she's been very active every day except the past 2 during which she's been hiding under a Catalpa leaf, waiting to shuffle off this mortal coil.

Her belly looked full-ish last I saw her alive, slightly rounded, but nothing I'd call bloated like you see in dropsy cases. I just assumed she was well fed.

Only one side of her shows that red patch you see in the picture, which was not part of her coloration before becoming ill and dying.

She and her fry were the only fish in the tank, a 29 gallon. The male was moved to a community tank over a week ago so he could avoid the female's aggression after she spawned. He appears healthly as can be.

There are/were maybe 20 - 30  two-week old fry in the tank. The fry are still in there, just hard to get a count and determine their number/mortality rate, as there are lots of places for a baby fish to hide. But I did just see at least a dozen happily eating BBS.

Really not good at diagnosing fish illness or cause of death, so any help would be appreciated.

Tank params:

• pH - 6.8
  • Nitrates - 5.0 -ish. Definitely well under ten and closer to 5.
  • Hardness - 7
  • Nitrite - 0 ppm
  • Ammonia - 0 ppm
  • KH/Buffer - 0
  • Water Temperature - 78

Picture of the deceased below --  

IMG_6085.jpg.831f7f6b0af4e6f3b4fe12bdd3de4d1b.jpg

Edited by tolstoy21

@Cory I was feeding fluval bug bites. A very occasional small piece of chopped-up red wiggler.  Baby brine and micro worms for the fry along with some half grown-out live brine.

Now that you mention it, that was the first sign. I did notice she stopped eating a few days ago. I just assumed she was grabbing food when I wasn’t looking because her tummy appeared rounded in a non-alarming way. But, maybe It’s been three or four days since I saw her actually eat something. 

It was also my observation that I never witnessed this specific fish eat Fluval bug bites, or any food that wasn't alive and moving. I tried some crushed up Xtreme flake a few times. The male would eat anything, and pick food from the gravel. But, like i said, for the female, I never observed her eat anything that wasn't free swimming or wiggling. So, most of her diet was probably baby brine shrimp and some older brine shrimp.

Edited by tolstoy21

@tolstoy21 Well I had lost an angelfish that had spawned two days prior. Seemed perfectly healthy with no issues. Water tested fine, I just had the pair in a 29 gal. I found her dead with in 4 hours of the last time I saw her alive. And I did a little inspection and her gills were all puffy and white. I think it was some sort of gill fungus. But you wouldn’t think she would have spawned if she was distressed and this (fungus) was not noticeable without flipping the gill plate over and looking. The only real thing that was out of the ordinary was she had a very small spawn compared to a normal one. Also in my research into this I came across gill mites/flukes but I didn’t see anything like that. I have an older aquarium book on fish diseases. But maybe we can get some recommendations on something more up to date. The book I have has all kinds of meds that I don’t think are commonly available.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, FrostiesFishes said:

I have an older aquarium book on fish diseases. But maybe we can get some recommendations on something more up to date. The book I have has all kinds of meds that I don’t think are commonly available.

I think I remember that book, what is the title?

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I think I remember that book, what is the title?

If you do remember a good book, that would be awesome. I was actually just thinking about that this morning while replying to this thread -- that I should see if there is a good book on the subject that can help me get started in this area of understanding.

I know that I can read the heck out of the internet, but usually I like to start with a book on a topic to get the basic gist and background, then I use the internet to supplement that and dive deeper or see what people in all the various communities, etc., have to say on a specific topic.

Even if the book is older, that's fine. I'm not looking for the latest greatest up-to-date info. Just a good primer on the subject I can read in my chair.

So yeah, book recommendations are welcome! 

• Like 1