Chinese algae eater

Stan Z

I saw him actually chasing a gourami across the tank this morning. I decided to move the CAE to my new 10 gallon tank to get him out of the main, but I can’t catch him. Interesting. He’s fast and has a lot of places to hide. I might have to remove a lot of things from the tank if I want to get him out. I don’t want to wreck my plants.

My grandpa has tried to keep this species many times and I've only seen these guys be really mean and hurt other fish and scarcely if ever seen them eat algae, especially at large sizes. They should be kept away from community tanks in general in my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@TankedI first got a tiny Cory and a little Oto. When I talked with the guy at the store about the algae, he gave me the CAE and said I could bring it back if I wanted to. He also advised me to simply turn the lights off for 3 days straight. That worked pretty well. Then two weeks later I was away for a weekend and the lights were off again for three days. The tank is nice and clean but I’m concerned about the algae eaters having enough to eat. Maybe that made the CAE more competitive. I use the pellets for bottom feeders but the gouramis are hogs and eat the pellets before the others can.

On 10/3/2022 at 11:46 AM, Stan Z said:

@TankedI first got a tiny Cory and a little Oto. When I talked with the guy at the store about the algae, he gave me the CAE and said I could bring it back if I wanted to. He also advised me to simply turn the lights off for 3 days straight. That worked pretty well. Then two weeks later I was away for a weekend and the lights were off again for three days. The tank is nice and clean but I’m concerned about the algae eaters having enough to eat. Maybe that made the CAE more competitive. I use the pellets for bottom feeders but the gouramis are hogs and eat the pellets before the others can.

If the store generously gave you the option to take the CAE back, I would take that.  You could create a place in the aquarium that is difficult for the gourami to reach, inserting the sinking pellets by means of a feeding tube, while distracting the gourami on the opposite side of the tank.

On 10/3/2022 at 11:03 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Is Hydro. Peroxide dangerous to fish? 
@anewbie has recommended that I educate myself on fish chemistry.

@Tanked

Spot treating BBA directly with a spray bottle, syringe or dropper is considered safe at about 1.5-3 ml. per gallon of water grocery store strength (3%) H202.  Some folks including myself have used 5ml. with no ill effects. Better effect is with the pumps off just before lights out, as H2O2 is short lived in light, and quickly breaks down to water.

• Thanks 1