Opinions on 55g Background color......

FishyMike

Hey Guys wanted to get some opinions on a background color for The 55 Gallon Tank. Its going to house 6 Tiger Turquoise Discus. I've heard people talk about how lighter colors make the discus look better, but I'm impartial to the black backgrounds. Every single tank in my fish room is black lol. I was thinking maybe a blue? Choice are Black, Light blue, white or Darker blue. I'm using lighter pool filter sand. Would love to hear opinion... wish there was a vote template.

On 9/14/2022 at 3:04 PM, cavdad45 said:

Black is my choice, Always highlights the beautiful colors and patterns on fish

My only draw back to the black was people are saying the discus can pepper or want to match the background but I don't think the tiger turquoise pepper much if at all.

I'm still dealing with algae in our 5 gal betta tank partially due to the strong morning sun.  I can't get stem plants to grow in the tank to help either.  It's weird.  I added the black background on there to help block the sun and help the betta feel safer too.

• Like 1

My opinion is that black goes with everything, and hides all the cords/equipment. Frosted is another cool option, but make sure there isn't anything hanging from the aquarium in back or you'll see it. Personally, I've never understood using blue as it seems very "fake" and makes me focus on it than anything else in the tank.

I have tanks with black backgrounds, and some with no background at all, just the white wall behind them. The non background tanks are definitely brighter, and ill use plants and hardscape to try and hide the equipment, my only thought with the lighter background would be it could wash out the blues of the discus, blend in with it i mean. couldn't know for sure without seeing them, but i vote for a darker color.

On 9/15/2022 at 3:36 PM, kahjtheundedicated said:

Has anybody tried using dark tinted window frost? It's a thing that exists, and might give better depth than the normal glossy black.

I have a dark window film on my 55 long, it works wonderfully! I've found it helpful to have it be semi transparent when you look behind and into the tank to check on some of the fish. From the front it's close enough to the wall that you can't even tell it's window tint.

• Like 1