I like terra cotta because of the porosity. It hold tons of BB plus it’s lower. I also noticed before when I used glass critters don’t recognize clear glass. A lot of fish poked about at the edges trying to get food but not able to get at it. Maybe my kids are just “special” 🤣

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2022 at 7:37 PM, Guppysnail said:

I like terra cotta because of the porosity. It hold tons of BB plus it’s lower. I also noticed before when I used glass critters don’t recognize clear glass. A lot of fish poked about at the edges trying to get food but not able to get at it. Maybe my kids are just “special” 🤣

No I think that has some validity to it. Only a couple figured it out before lights out. I'm thinking 2 of them. One for each side so they have space to nom nom

On 8/23/2022 at 7:40 PM, TeeJay said:

No I think that has some validity to it. Only a couple figured it out before lights out. I'm thinking 2 of them. One for each side so they have space to nom nom

And it would be nice for feeding veggies to the snails

• Love 1

On 8/23/2022 at 7:40 PM, TeeJay said:

And it would be nice for feeding veggies to the snails

Exactly I just order 3 4" ones from my local ace hardware right up the street I'll pick them up tomorrow woot woot.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 7:34 PM, TeeJay said:

So I know @Guppysnail likes to use feeding dishes alot and @nabokovfan87 has been test one out with his Corys.

I’m on Team Feeding Dish too! Makes for easy cleanup if there’s leftovers. Turkey baster it up and nothing falls in the substrate. If I realize I’ve overfed right away, I suck it up and freeze it in tank water. Like this. Later thaw out and turkey baster it back in. Saves $$$. 

C17E3E34-16E5-468E-88DE-0ACD73F6ECB1.jpeg

55823034-72FB-4B0B-9C60-0A090B17DF98.jpeg

4B03D000-A1E8-4D97-BD11-AB8F1FFEED1B.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Love 1

On 8/23/2022 at 8:54 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I’m on Team Feeding Dish too! Makes for easy cleanup if there’s leftovers. Turkey baster it up and nothing falls in the substrate. If I realize I’ve overfed right away, I suck it up and freeze it in tank water. Like this. Later thaw out and turkey baster it back in. Saves $$$. 

C17E3E34-16E5-468E-88DE-0ACD73F6ECB1.jpeg

55823034-72FB-4B0B-9C60-0A090B17DF98.jpeg

4B03D000-A1E8-4D97-BD11-AB8F1FFEED1B.jpeg

Ooohhh is that like a kids medicine syringe your using?

On 8/23/2022 at 9:00 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Basically. I think it’s called an irrigation syringe. There’s no needle. I use it to fill my test tubes for the perfect fill to the line.

Yes I'll have to get one of those. I usually use the pipettes from this co op to fill my test tubes and measure ferts. But that would work good for foodies.

On 8/23/2022 at 9:06 PM, TeeJay said:

Yes I'll have to get one of those. I usually use the pipettes from this co op to fill my test tubes and measure ferts. But that would work good for foodies.

I use the turkey baster for food because it has a bigger opening. But I use this to just move tank water into the ice cube trays, or into the test tubes.

On 8/23/2022 at 9:11 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I use the turkey baster for food because it has a bigger opening. But I use this to just move tank water into the ice cube trays, or into the test tubes.

Yes I think after I go thru my stock of store bought brine shrimp I'll try hatching my own and freezing them. So that little gizmo will work great

On 8/23/2022 at 9:12 PM, TeeJay said:

Yes I think after I go thru my stock of store bought brine shrimp I'll try hatching my own and freezing them. So that little gizmo will work great

Oh yes, it works awesome for brine shrimp!

I prefer to feed brine shrimp this way because if I put the whole block in, most of it falls to the ground and they ignore stuff on the ground.

You can get the irrigation syringe at pretty much any drug store. 

• Love 1

So I wanted to check on the food dish I left in overnight for the crew. It's completely empty! I'm sure the bladder snails helped themselves as well but at least I know the Cory's figured out the feeding dish. I ordered some terra cotta saucers from ace hardware that should work better than the small glass dish. More surface area with shallower sides should be way better. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 6:14 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I prefer to feed brine shrimp this way because if I put the whole block in, most of it falls to the ground and they ignore stuff on the ground.

I mean..... I guess I'll have to feed some brine today and show you the magic of pandas. 😂

• Love 1

On 8/24/2022 at 10:43 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I mean, they are vacuum cleaners.  Have you named your pandas yet?  Here's some ideas.  Bissell, Hoover, Dyson, Dirt Devil...

I do think they are a Legion of Pandas (mass effect reference?)!  Essentially they are definitely a hivemind at this point.  They weren't happy with the camera today but I am further away from the tank and I can see them going to town right now, little tails wiggling everywhere.

Shutter and the white sand is all blown out.  *sips coffee*  Next time I'll have a better one.

I just looked over, filter is back on from feeding.  They are going bonkers again because it got all stirred up.  I highly recommend a Horde of Corydoras and I'm excited for TeeJay when he has his in full force!!!

• Love 1

So stopped by the hardware store and picked up my clay pot saucers for the new feeding dishes. Put one in place for the corys and put a couple small repashy pieces on it for them. No takers yet. But the light just kicked off and we have one in the dish everyone else is just doing the usual sifting the gravel.

IMG_20220824_192944326.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Checked on the corys this morning. The food dish is completely empty so I would say that was a success. I'm sure the Cory's got there fill and the bladder snails cleaned up the rest.

IMG_20220825_072521907.jpg

Edited by TeeJay
  • Like 4