Good late morning fellow nerms. Who is ready for some coffee with TJ time. Well since I already made the diy hatchery so I figured I should at least give it a try. So I just got it set up with a small batch of eggs. It's my first time ever trying this so I hope I can get a 50 percent hatch rate. As well it's water change day so it's time for some work. The killis have adjusted very well. Mr platy and miss junior guppy does not bother them. So far so good. Lemony has gotten very comfy in his new home. I usually find him on the glass rasping on the wood. Haven't seen him check out his cave yet. But I knew he would need it as he gets older. Right now he is happy just learning the new territory.

IMG_20220918_103100388.jpg

• Love 1

I hope yesterday’s spooky adventure was fruitful. My nieces used to watch ghost hunters religiously and was always disheartened if I was unable to join her. It was a bonding thing. I know I asked but can’t remember is your group a tv show or YouTube. I would love to watch. I also think it would be MEGA COOL if you started an off topic thread about your adventures. They sound amazingly fun. Of course they do I don’t have to do the work or lose sleep for them 🤣🤗

On 9/18/2022 at 11:22 AM, Guppysnail said:

I hope yesterday’s spooky adventure was fruitful. My nieces used to watch ghost hunters religiously and was always disheartened if I was unable to join her. It was a bonding thing. I know I asked but can’t remember is your group a tv show or YouTube. I would love to watch. I also think it would be MEGA COOL if you started an off topic thread about your adventures. They sound amazingly fun. Of course they do I don’t have to do the work or lose sleep for them 🤣🤗

Yes yesterday was an event called Madcon. So it was Madcon5 for it's 5year. It's at Madison seminary in Madison ohio. Different vendors and teams come together to raise money for cystic fibrosis. We raise 30k so it was an amazing event. 

The team that I'm in is called spectral hunters investigation team. I'll like you guys put together the acronym for it 🤣

The stuff I have on my YouTube channel is raw uncut videos of different places we go and different segments of the investigations throughout the night. 

Between my fish passion and paranormal passion it's a challenge for sure lol

• Love 1

On 9/18/2022 at 8:22 AM, Guppysnail said:

I also think it would be MEGA COOL if you started an off topic thread about your adventures. They sound amazingly fun.

I just caught up with this thread & learned about TeeJay's other hobby! I was thinking to start that thread... I've got one good ghost story I can tell from my time working in restaurants & one that was in a very old building with a checkered past... 

But anywho, tank is looking great TeeJay! Congrats on all the new additions.  

• Love 1

The Cory tank is doing well. Had a lot of large floating water sprite in my main tank so I took one out and put it in the Cory tank. I have a bit of hair alge problem in there. Not real bad but I don't want it to get too out of hand. I hope a bit of floating plant will help with the light. It's a finnex stingray so I can't adjust the brightness. I think I will get some electrical tape and tape off a few sections on the light to help with brightness. Hopefully within the next 30 days or so I can get the sand and some new plants.

I'm thinking of doing a mainly cryp plants for there tank. Do cryps do ok planted in sand? And hopefully a pink flamingo as the centerpiece cryp. Here is a new pic of the tank

IMG_20220918_162127741.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hope it's been a Sunday funday for everyone. The shrimp sanctuary is looking very good. To some it may seem like a jungle but I'm really enjoying the way it looks. It could use a bit of hornwort trim. Had to cull a bit of the floating plants today. All the shrimps seem to be happy and healthy. Haven't seen any shrimpletts yet but I have a feeling it won't me too much longer. 

The alder and filo cones have been in the tank for almost a week now. Haven't really seen anyone nom nom 😂 n them yet but I like what they bring to the tank. Hopefully soon I can add some other new types of botanicals. I really like the look of the pear halves.

IMG_20220918_162201786.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Good morning fellow nerms. I know it's been a few days. It's been crazy busy for me and a kiddo with an ear infection. But welcome to coffee with TeeJay. This morning we have a treat. Feeding live baby brine to the killis this morning . I made a small video. Not sure how much you can see but it's there lol.

The diy hatchery worked very well for my first time out the gate. Trying to filter and rinse thru a coffee filter not so much. So I will be ordering some bbs nets for next time. So I think the diy will work until the funds are around for a ziss. 

https://youtu.be/ojqm3ef-SOI

IMG_20220921_065625076.jpg

IMG_20220921_065626796.jpg

IMG_20220921_065703789.jpg

IMG_20220921_065903871.jpg

• Love 1

Good morning!  I love when diy works out. Those look like happy fish. 
I hope your kiddo is feeling a bit better this morning.  Of course playing hookey from school usually makes kids feel better…I know it alway made me happy 🤣

I turn off my filters and put live Bbs I. The food dish for my plecos and corydora with a turkey baster. It takes a time or two for plecos to realize it’s food but once they do they love it. Lefty claimed a cave for herself. As soon as BBS hits the water she beelines for the cave and I squirt a bit extra in just for her. Sometimes she goes there at normal feeding and stares at me. It’s her way of saying “can I haz some sea monkeys mommy pleaz”

There is a lock feature on iPhones. If you unlock it (might need to YouTube how) and film with your phone sideways video will show up on YouTube full screen. 

On 9/21/2022 at 7:23 AM, Guppysnail said:

Good morning!  I love when diy works out. Those look like happy fish. 
I hope your kiddo is feeling a bit better this morning.  Of course playing hookey from school usually makes kids feel better…I know it alway made me happy 🤣

I turn off my filters and put live Bbs I. The food dish for my plecos and corydora with a turkey baster. It takes a time or two for plecos to realize it’s food but once they do they love it. Lefty claimed a cave for herself. As soon as BBS hits the water she beelines for the cave and I squirt a bit extra in just for her. Sometimes she goes there at normal feeding and stares at me. It’s her way of saying “can I haz some sea monkeys mommy pleaz”

There is a lock feature on iPhones. If you unlock it (might need to YouTube how) and film with your phone sideways video will show up on YouTube full screen. 

Oh she is a beast she hasn't missed school for it. Unless she is contagious or eyes popping out she won't miss school. Yes I'm a android use. Never been a fan of iPhones 😆 never thought of turning off the filters I'll try that next batch.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 10:46 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The killifish look great!  Your plants are doing awesome.   

I never knew such a small fish would be so much fun. Sometimes it's like wheres Waldo. I never know where I'm going to find them. Usually hanging out in the floating plants. Other times chasing each other around. I can't wait until the day I see a nice plump female! 

• Love 1

On 9/21/2022 at 9:53 PM, TeeJay said:

I never knew such a small fish would be so much fun. Sometimes it's like wheres Waldo. I never know where I'm going to find them. Usually hanging out in the floating plants. Other times chasing each other around. I can't wait until the day I see a nice plump female! 

Once my 10g frees up I want to get some minis too.  I think the ember tetras.   And maybe even some shrimp if I'm brave enough to try shrimp.  I don't know enough yet.  I heard of people having shrimp deaths just because they did a routine water change, so I'm kind of scared.  I'm also nervous about leaves & pH and stuff like that, like would the pH change from leaves hurt the tetra, etc.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 9/22/2022 at 9:17 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Once my 10g frees up I want to get some minis too.  I think the ember tetras.   And maybe even some shrimp if I'm brave enough to try shrimp.  I don't know enough yet.  I heard of people having shrimp deaths just because they did a routine water change, so I'm kind of scared.  I'm also nervous about leaves & pH and stuff like that, like would the pH change from leaves hurt the tetra, etc.

Don't be nervous of shrimpy friends. You know since I added the shrimp to the sanctuary I have only done 1 10 percent water change. All I really do is use the turkey baster here and there to suck out mulm. I keep a few gallons of water seasoned just to do top offs as needed. I don't get much evaporation since there is only 2 small openings in the lid for air lines 

The leaves and cones have been fun to play with. They add nice depth to the tank. But as far as how it will affect the pH for tetras with them I'm not sure.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 9:17 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Getting them through the change from one set of breeding parameters to adjust to your water is the issue. I do large weekly water changes and my shrimp are just fine. Getting them started was a bit tough but I got some local and then they did fine. Leaves won’t hurt your tetras. They will probably benefit. 

On 9/22/2022 at 10:13 AM, Guppysnail said:

Getting them through the change from one set of breeding parameters to adjust to your water is the issue. I do large weekly water changes and my shrimp are just fine. Getting them started was a bit tough but I got some local and then they did fine. Leaves won’t hurt your tetras. They will probably benefit. 

Yes that's why I was glad I was able to find someone with shrimp local that there water is the same water supply I have so it worked out really well 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 10:42 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

2 LFS sell the shrimp. Parameters are likely the same.  My understanding is that neocaridinia is the way to go because they do well in higher pH like mine (7.5-ish) whereas caridinia have to have pH at say, 6.4 or whatnot.

Yes I would stick with the neos.a bit wider water params. I think a bit hardier too.

• Like 1

So the new northfin fry food came in today! I have been wanting to try this for my killis. @Guppysnail said hers likes it alot so I figured it was worth a try. I have been rotating between first bites crushed up bug bites and co op easy fry food. Thought it would be nice to have another solid staple food in the rotation until my worm cultures get established. Just gave it to them and they went for it pretty well 👍 

Mr. Lemony snicket's is doing very well.  He fits right into this tank. I'm excited to watch him grow.

And as an added bonus I do believe we may have one or two pregnant killis! They have nice full round bellies.

IMG_20220923_175225427.jpg

IMG_20220923_175342493_MP.jpg

IMG_20220923_175358759.jpg

IMG_20220923_175457601.jpg

IMG_20220923_175540867.jpg

IMG_20220923_180421698.jpg

IMG_20220923_181820569.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/23/2022 at 7:06 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@TeeJaydid you get a white mystery snail or is that just the lighting?

Yes the white and gold one in this tank were the first two mysteries I ever bought. They have always been in this tank. They just never got much attention. So there is a total of 3 in this tank with the additional of midnight the magenta I got from @Guppysnail

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 7:08 PM, TeeJay said:

Yes the white and gold one in this tank were the first two mysteries I ever bought. They have always been in this tank. They just never got much attention. So there is a total of 3 in this tank with the additional of midnight the magenta I got from @Guppysnail

Oh I thought Flotsam and Jetsam were both gold.

The gold one has lovely long feelers. 

Soon I may have mysteries with a white foot!  I’m excited!  I’m just waiting for temps to drop a little before the shipment.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 9/23/2022 at 7:10 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Oh I thought Flotsam and Jetsam were both gold.

The gold one has lovely long feelers. 

Soon I may have mysteries with a white foot!  I’m excited!  I’m just waiting for temps to drop a little before the shipment.

Yes flotsam and jetsam are the pair of goldies in the shrimp sanctuary tank. Then Johnny and June are the pair of magentas in the Cory tank 🤗

• Like 1