Fish out of water

Nz1986

Just a survey and story of a survivor. I came home from work at 3:00 checked on my community tank and could not find my female platy. I didn’t think much of it, she was getting big and assumed she was hiding to give birth. Fast forward to 4:30 I made my rounds to check on the tank  and still didn’t see her, I searched around the tank and found her on the floor. When I picked her up to toss her in the flower bed she moved. Covered in. Dust from behind the tank and looking dry as could be. I immediately got her into a breeder box in the tank. She was in bad shape but somehow pulled through. After a few hours of rest I released her back into the  tank, mainly so she could scrape the debris off her body more naturally. Has anyone else had a situation like this before?

992876BC-C49B-4B9F-A05D-83F068288D16.jpeg

• Like 4

I had 2 young koi in a 20G that was about 7’ from the ground. One of them jumped out was on the floor for a long time can’t remember exactly but over an hour for sure. Lost most of the scales on one side of her. I put her back in the tank and over the next couple hours she got back to swimming and recovered over the weeks. That next day I moved the koi to a low tank.

Hope your platty makes a fast recovery.

#fishRtuff 

On 8/26/2022 at 11:23 PM, Nz1986 said:

Has anyone else had a situation like this before?

In my high school days I came home late one night and realized that the Red Tailed Shark was missing. The dust bunnies had already found him under a piece of furniture before my flashlight did.  Holding the fish by the tail I picked off some of the fuzz and began dipping the shark in and out of aquarium like a teabag. I don't know why I thought forcing water through the gills would help, but it did.  After about a minute I felt a twitch.  Continued dipping brought a revival and a much longer life.

• Love 1

I had a ropefish get out of a tank I have in the garage. It was out for roughly 48 hours. When I found it, it was pretty dry and stiff. Once hydrated it seemed fine. The real surprise was when it regurged a big American cockroach. I don't feed them cockroaches. I guess it decided to do a little hunting while it was on walkabout, lol....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1