Scarlet badis adventure

Guppysnail

My 8 new SB settled into their forever home within a day. It’s now been 3 days in their tank with panda cory.  I’m completely enchanchanted with them. There is one possible girl. They are still juvenile so I say one. She is grey with a shorter dorsal and no red yet. She is slightly smaller.
 Each male has staked a general area they hang out in.  They all come to the food dish and swim about a little but all return to their chosen area. They float into one another’s area and I’ve only seen one chase the others off. He does not chase the potential girl off and she explores the entire tank interacting more with each male. So fingers crossed she is a girl.  Girls are very hard to find. 
The one that chases every other male off is slightly larger and definitely more colorful so I’m assuming he is dominant. He also has claimed the largest area. 2/3 of the length of the back of the 20 long is his. The little Val forest. 

This morning at lights on they all surprised me coming to the food dish with the pandas 😲

They require live foods to really thrive from my understanding.  Things I’m feeding are microworms, banana worms, grindal worms, live BBS. Waiting on white worms (should be here today)

Things I’m working on: seed shrimp/ microfauna culture. Learning about a certain type of daphnia suggested by @modified lung When they get big enough scuds. I’ll attach my live food adventure to my signature if your interested. 

Picture and video dump. 

HAPPY ADVENTURES… LEARN SOMETHING NEW

FE8A809C-384B-4D49-A638-F9CBC8F60011.jpeg

74572D08-1F6B-4D0F-A16A-BFAB81902E1C.jpeg

738D4A31-783B-45F5-8173-1DB80A37E71C.jpeg

94C684D9-DCAB-4E63-A3EC-1CC7D31EF529.jpeg

F9322E4F-4AD9-4A66-BB82-34B7461DCEEA.jpeg

8D52BF2F-FDFF-4530-A30E-7D8529C4D623.jpeg

D14EF03A-387E-4957-93CC-4A4D3AC15F61.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 7

On 8/25/2022 at 5:32 PM, Colu said:

Love the colours is it true that they only except live foods 

To soon to tell. They seem to nip first bites, northfin fry and easy fry then spit it out to hunt the plants and substrate. So if they are nipping it maybe I’ve heard a few say they will but they do not thrive without the live. That’s why I went on my learning live food culture binge. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 7:17 PM, TeeJay said:

I don't think you can get much more of a colorful freshwater fish they are excellent!

It’s funny you say that. The first time I seen one in person it reminded me of my all time favorite saltwater clownfish, though nothing is as wiggly as clownfish. 

• Love 2

@ColuStill no luck with fry food. Now they watch it fall to the substrate and then stare at it intently. When it does not move they move on looking for something in the gravel moving. 
Grindal worms are a hit but if they are falling the SB watch and unless they wiggle the SB do not eat them and let them fall and stare at them until they wiggle in the substrate  Then game on  

HOWEVER

I watched them picking at the glass  I looked closer with my 🔍 👀 magnifying glass and seen they were eating my green baby hydra 😲

SO

If it moves they eat it, no movement no dice.  I’m guessing the first run of fry food the day I got them they tried because they were starving but even that they spit out.

First seen territory dispute  The suspected girl was not run off but this boy was immediately run off  

HAPPY ADVENTURES…LEARN SOMETHING NEW 

• Like 3

On 8/27/2022 at 7:33 PM, Colu said:

Have tried frozen foods or freeze dried maybe if you put it in the flow from the filter the moment might encourage them to except it 

I’ve tried freeze dry daphnia and tubifex. They watch it but then search the substrate. I have decent flow throughout so it stays in motion. 
I did try frozen baby brine. They nibbled a bit but did not eat with gusto. 

On 8/27/2022 at 7:52 PM, Paul Rutigliano said:

Did you try live baby brine shrimp.  Even frozen baby brine work with my fry.  

The first video is them eating fresh hatched baby brine shrimp. They love it but grindal worms are a bigger hit which surprised me. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 8:24 PM, Colu said:

Sound like it's going to be a challenge getting them to except prepared foods  

I’m set and still expanding. I knew this before I got them. I have microworms, banana worms, white worms and grindal worms, seed shrimp colony, baby bladder snails and I dumped a ton of microfauna and neocaridina in from my shrimp tank. They can snack on shrimplettes. 
A friend suggested soaking the FD daphnia in garlic guard. I’m going to try that with commercial high quality fry food and see so they don’t develop any vitamin deficiency. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 1:42 AM, Guppysnail said:

I’m set and still expanding. I knew this before I got them. I have microworms, banana worms, white worms and grindal worms, seed shrimp colony, baby bladder snails and I dumped a ton of microfauna and neocaridina in from my shrimp tank. They can snack on shrimplettes. 
A friend suggested soaking the FD daphnia in garlic guard. I’m going to try that with commercial high quality fry food and see so they don’t develop any vitamin deficiency. 

Sound like your Very well prepared with the live foods you could try gut loading your live food cultures with foods soaked in vitachem 

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2022 at 9:05 PM, Colu said:

Sound like your Very well prepared with the live foods you could try gut loading your live food cultures with foods soaked in vitachem 

Right now I started with science diet dry cat food. I was going to use reptile fry powder vitamins and soak extreme wafers. I totally forgot about vitachem. Thank you for the reminder 🤗

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

This is one of 2 I suspect is a girl. The other has the low belly pooch like in @Chick-In-Of-TheSea video. Today this one started getting it. Neither of these two ever get chased out of any of the others territory and neither of these really has a set territory. I’m not certain how to explain it but to me their face looks different not just color wise. Second photo is one of my boys maybe you folks can see they look different and maybe I’m just nuts…well I am but more so than I thought 🤣

ECA7C976-89CD-4500-8EA9-218989D047EB.jpeg

34673971-CE26-47FD-A4CA-C49CF0418C51.jpeg
here is the other suspected girl and a sub dominant male for comparison 

Sub boy

AD6047C8-0E54-4C01-B03A-FF7A75F5822C.png

girl

24FE7997-ACDD-46E4-B500-CC5F3DEE007B.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

I'm not 100% sure but I'm leaning toward male on both of those. I've been told if they have any red or orange at all, then it's a male. I've only had one scarlet badis female and it was the most dull grey/tan color you've ever seen. Although I haven't had a lot of scarlet badis so I'm not sure.

I think I know what you mean about the face. Black tiger badis females have a slightly more flat face and a shorter "neck" region.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2022 at 8:51 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Have you assembled the elevated cave yet?

No and it’s not for these guys. It’s for one of the two new surprise fish I’ll reveal end of next week. I have the tank up (not finished more plants on the way)but nothing looks right with an elevated cave. They are juveniles so I’ll have time to figure something out after I really get to watch their behavior and decide what they need and where. I also did not use the mopani I intended I went with spider wood. 

DA1C8E9E-D73F-4B4A-97C2-17A6C187A39A.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Love 1