Patio pond update

GreenCircleGirl

I wanted to add an update with this pond. Note to self - do NOT choose galvanized water troughs. First, it leaked. Second, most of the fish and snails died. Third, the floating water plants developed a sickly green color and failed to thrive. Though it is intended to be used for animals to drink out of, it must leach out something toxic into the water. It also rusted in spots within a few months. The bigger Rubbermaid stock tank is much better. The plants and fish are thriving. 

image.jpeg.34cef2e1691428d29fc830273804d003.jpeg

• Like 8

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 8/24/2022 at 12:41 AM, GreenCircleGirl said:

I wanted to add an update with this pond. Note to self - do NOT choose galvanized water troughs. First, it leaked. Second, most of the fish and snails died. Third, the floating water plants developed a sickly green color and failed to thrive. Though it is intended to be used for animals to drink out of, it must leach out something toxic into the water. It also rusted in spots within a few months. The bigger Rubbermaid stock tank is much better. The plants and fish are thriving. 

image.jpeg.34cef2e1691428d29fc830273804d003.jpeg

I have a few questions as I just got some stock tanks and have seen many people use them successfully.

Did you buy this new?

If new, did you clean it well with a degreaser?

Did you allow time with water to sit in it then drain and refill before adding plants/fish?

Did it rust on the inside or the outside? (I ask to see if it was contact with air and dirt, or water inside. I see a lot of people putting drainage rock under these to prevent ground rust.)

Thanks!  😊 

Purchased new from lowes, cleaned with degreaser, sanded, wiped down and applied pond armor.

I put my on some gravel with some large paver's 

Added plants as soon as I could.  Fish when i saw there was some nitrate in the water about a month after.  Here's what it looks like today. Winter is starting to kill the larger plant but should come back in the spring.  Have white clouds, rice fish, 2 giant dojo loaches and a bunch of cherry shrimp and snails. I thought the dojo loaches would eat all the shrimp but they are super lazy 

image.jpeg.432edade5f4f9f009ea79f07e8b7f142.jpegIMG_1254.jpg.b919efa81810ef574bd8d1a461561c05.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

• Love 1