New tank ideas

anitstuk

Hello fellow fish hobbyists. I got the green light to get another fish tank (not too big) later this year. What size fish tank that can fit on a shelf and look nice that isn't too expensive? Also what should I stock the tank with? Looking forward to hearing your suggestions! 

Edited by anitstuk
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 9:18 PM, Friller said:

I say get a 20g long, an do some nice natives. 

Desert Gobies are great

I'll never say no to a goby!

For a shelf, I'd try to find a 15L, never easy.  A 20L if it fits and can be supported would be awesome.

I would get a bolivian ram, some warmer water corydoras, and something upper water to be a normal community tank.  Glowlight tetra or something like silvertip tetra would be great.

• Like 2

What are the dimensions of the shelf? Tanks are available in such a wide variety of dimensions.  I have a list of smaller critters I still want to try a mile long. I’m a nano fish junkie 🤣 There are just so many awesome critters. 

oh and what are your tap water parameters? Gh/ph  That gives us the ability to give you ideas of fish that will do great in your water. 

I just got an aquatop all in one5 gallon that is really nice and well designed filter. A page or so from the end of my journal I showed unboxing and setup that took like 12 minutes I think I only paid $100 for it. The money spent on tanks  comes in play with gear. Only thing this did not have was a heater. I added one but there are a plethora of nano fish that do not need a heater also. These tanks come in several shapes. 

Edited by Guppysnail

How high up is the shelf? Depending on how high it is, you may want to decide based on how easily you can view the inhabitants.

Is it so high that you would not be able to see bottom dwellers easily? Because then, maybe you could get some that are both bottom dwellers AND midwater swimmers. Or fish that swim at all levels.

If the bottom of the tank is at eye level, maybe get some awesome bottom dwellers and some fish that look good from below (I have no idea what those fish would be though).

If the main viewing point is from across the room or some distance away, I suggest going with some bigger fish.

Good luck, and I hope you keep us posted on your choices!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2022 at 11:49 PM, PotatoFish said:

How high up is the shelf? Depending on how high it is, you may want to decide based on how easily you can view the inhabitants.

Is it so high that you would not be able to see bottom dwellers easily? Because then, maybe you could get some that are both bottom dwellers AND midwater swimmers. Or fish that swim at all levels.

If the bottom of the tank is at eye level, maybe get some awesome bottom dwellers and some fish that look good from below (I have no idea what those fish would be though).

If the main viewing point is from across the room or some distance away, I suggest going with some bigger fish.

Good luck, and I hope you keep us posted on your choices!

Sorry for not replying earlier, I just didn't see your post!

The place where I was planning to put my tank is around 1 metre off the ground. I definitely wanna try some Corys, shrimp and chili rasboras. If anything can go with them, please let me know!

On 8/4/2022 at 9:29 PM, Guppysnail said:

What are the dimensions of the shelf? Tanks are available in such a wide variety of dimensions.  I have a list of smaller critters I still want to try a mile long. I’m a nano fish junkie 🤣 There are just so many awesome critters. 

oh and what are your tap water parameters? Gh/ph  That gives us the ability to give you ideas of fish that will do great in your water. 

I just got an aquatop all in one5 gallon that is really nice and well designed filter. A page or so from the end of my journal I showed unboxing and setup that took like 12 minutes I think I only paid $100 for it. The money spent on tanks  comes in play with gear. Only thing this did not have was a heater. I added one but there are a plethora of nano fish that do not need a heater also. These tanks come in several shapes. 

I'm not 100% sure about the dimensions of the shelf but it's better suited for a longer tank than a taller tank. My PH is 6.5 but I definetely could buy some sort of PH stabilizer if that helps. 

On 8/4/2022 at 5:24 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I'll never say no to a goby!

For a shelf, I'd try to find a 15L, never easy.  A 20L if it fits and can be supported would be awesome.

I would get a bolivian ram, some warmer water corydoras, and something upper water to be a normal community tank.  Glowlight tetra or something like silvertip tetra would be great.

I'm not the biggest fan of glowlight tetras just because they don't look very realistic and a little too shiny/colourful for my liking. I've always had a good look at Bolivian rams and German rams but I can never find any in my LFS. 😞 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 10:52 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I'd try a 'shrimp paradise' 10 gallon or a killifish 15 gallon planted tank.

I'll definitely try Cherry Shrimp if I do try a shrimp paradise. I'm currently unable to keep them alive in one of my other tank and I would love to see them thrive in a species only tank. 

• Like 1

You could go for a bookshelf tank. They are long and narrow, I have a 8 gallon one that I bought off a hobbyist. Mine kind of looks like this, BUT they can be expensive. I would post a pic, but it is currently undergoing an algae outbreak and looks atrocious. In mine, I have pygmy corydoras, chili rasboras, and a Scarlet badis. 

https://www.aquatop.com/high-clarity-bookshelf-style-aquarium-65-gallons-67x236x94.html

I got mine for $40, but it has scratches and dings. I just wanted to try this specific type of tank out. However, if you're looking for a tank that perfectly fits the space you have, your aesthetic, and can comfortably house the animals you want, I'd say saving up for the tank can be worth it! You could also look on your local used objects ad websites. 

On 8/22/2022 at 1:18 PM, anitstuk said:

Sorry for not replying earlier, I just didn't see your post!

The place where I was planning to put my tank is around 1 metre off the ground. I definitely wanna try some Corys, shrimp and chili rasboras. If anything can go with them, please let me know!

What about wood shrimp? They're interesting shrimp to watch with their filter feeder fan hands. They would be like Godzilla Shrimp among the cherry shrimp.

On 8/22/2022 at 7:38 PM, PotatoFish said:

What about wood shrimp? They're interesting shrimp to watch with their filter feeder fan hands. They would be like Godzilla Shrimp among the cherry shrimp.

I've never heard of Wood shrimp. I'll look further into them and thanks for the suggestion. 

On 8/22/2022 at 12:18 AM, anitstuk said:

PH is 6.5 but I definetely could buy some sort of PH stabilizer if that helps. 

This in my opinion leads to headaches and often unhappy fish from unstable parameters.  I personally go with fish that like my water however it is. 6.5 is still close to the neutral range and affords you many choices on your inhabitants. 

Oh and go to aqadvisor. I don’t use that for stocking but for tank dimensions.  Measure your shelf leave room for filtration and maintenance access. At the top of the site it shows almost every size tank in different shapes and gives exact dimensions right beside it. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 12:18 AM, anitstuk said:

I'm not the biggest fan of glowlight tetras just because they don't look very realistic and a little too shiny/colourful for my liking. 

Just you know, there is a difference between Glowlight tetras and Glofish (tm) tetras. Glofish are a genetic modification of skirt tetras but Glowlight tetras are just a natural species of tetra.

Edited by macdaddy36
  • Like 2

On 8/23/2022 at 3:38 AM, macdaddy36 said:

Just you know, there is a difference between Glowlight tetras and Glofish (tm) tetras. Glofish are a genetic modification of skirt tetras but Glowlight tetras are just a natural species of tetra.

I didn't know that but thanks! 🙂