Fish trap ideas!

Drenon88

I went a little overboard with the cleanup crew in my 29g. I have 5 Chinese algae eaters, 2 (was 5) Siamese algae eaters and 2 Hillstream loaches. One of the loaches is too large at around 3".

I did not realize how large all these fish would get and I want to cull them down to just 1 of each. I also have 3 large Amano shrimp that I will keep.

There are 2 large pieces of driftwood that are secured in place that I cannot move without major disruption to the tank which I am not prepared to do right now. Most of these fish hide under the driftwood and I cannot get them with a net.

I’m assuming that I can somehow trap these fish, but I could use some insight and ideas from the community. Photos and/or links to available products would be appreciated. I’m handy so I’m sure I could replicate any reasonable DIY solutions!

What do you think? Please share your ideas!

I used one of these minnow traps in the past to remove Endlers from my big tank.

3804_12515_large.JPG
WWW.MEMPHISNET.NET

This Gee Minnow Trap has two throats and 1 openings on each side. 1/4 Mesh galvanized steel wire. Temporarily out of stock.

I think this trap is half as long as your tank so it might be a little to big for you, but it could give you an idea for what the solution might look like.

Get yourself a nice medium sized bottle like the big brisk tea, drink it if you want or just pour it out and then cut around the circle and invert the top, you might have to cut off the top bc it wont be a big enough hole for them to get thru, also take a piece of airline tubing and very carefully cut it to size and cut a line down the middle so you can attach it to the surrounding so your fishing cut themselves on the opening, then bait the trap, also you might wanna use something to secure inverted top. Now after typing this I realise this is confusing so I'm gonna go make one and post a picture of it here, also if I dont post it within like an hour react or comment to remind me lol

• Thanks 1

I’d just get a water/soda bottle and cut the top part off and invert it to make a fish trap. Never used it in a tank before but I’ve caught wild guppies and small tilapia in a river with this. I’m sure your fish will swim in if you give it some time and put some food in the trap.

703C1C66-CA65-47FB-8E1A-CA3B11205AA4.jpeg

• Thanks 1