Biocube 32 on a hospital crash cart

LifeAsNix

I’d like to set up my Biocube 32 on my crash cart. Unfortunately, the cube is a few inches to long and hangs over the edge

There is a lip that goes along three sides that keeps me from sliding the aquarium back anymore. I could slide a piece of plywood on top that fits within the lip but that hangs over to support the underside of the aquarium. Since the aquarium isn’t the width of the cabinet, I’d probably cut the plywood to the shape of the cart and aquarium. 

I could make the plywood go over the whole top of the crash cart by notching out a spot for the lip to sit in. This way I could scoot the aquarium back some.

I may have to take the silver bar off and lay the plywood, with channels cut out for the lip on the cart to rest on it.

BUT!!! Will these casters even be able to support the weight?

11874F63-BD84-4FAC-9726-291D557407EB.jpeg

73E58F7B-FBE3-4C87-85DD-7E8DC12497BA.jpeg

7CE3722F-DE7D-4C33-9556-68606BF859FB.jpeg

8C1CCAC7-CCF1-4929-90DE-3D10E25D96CE.jpeg

7A2331EF-173F-4010-983F-04BB078D1B22.jpeg

CFE98E51-93CE-47D7-B677-E26E35401B4B.jpeg.b1920c778c71b2d92af5fa3f25e7af0e.jpeg

Edited by LifeAsNix
For some reason the photo of the castors keeps loading upside down.

Those casters are plastic and definitely won't support the weight.  I can't tell if it's aluminum or steel, but I would lean towards steel.  You'd have to verify the thickness and run some numbers are far as what weight it would support.  It might not even be structurally welded to accept weight.

Structurally, the way you'd want to load it would be to remove the aluminum railing (screws, easy to remove) and then make sure the tank is loading the corners / edges of the cart.  Because it's a bit wonky to try to do that, I don't recommend this as a stand. 

Question, are you specifically looking for a stand, or an aquarium on wheels?

On 8/1/2022 at 3:10 PM, LifeAsNix said:

I could make the plywood go over the whole top of the crash cart by notching out a spot for the lip to sit in. This way I could scoot the aquarium back some.

You'd want to make sure all corners / edges of the tank.

I was basically thinking about fitting the top of the whole cart with the plywood basically creating a countertop. Since that lip is there, I was thinking that I could use a dremel to router a notch for it to sit in on the underside. The lip is about a 1/2 inch and I could laminate two pieces together if need be so that it doesn’t have a gap; clean up the corners and stain, bam!! Buuuut, let’s say I get the weight perfectly centered and dispersed, will the cabinet and casters hold it?

Take a picture of where the casters attach, you may be able to unbolt them and replace with heavy duty ones.

It may also be possible to remove them completely. They are the weak point. the metal cart could likely support the weight once you add some sort of butcher block/counter top wood to the top

On 8/1/2022 at 7:10 PM, LifeAsNix said:

The lip is about a 1/2 inch and I could laminate two pieces together if need be so that it doesn’t have a gap; clean up the corners and stain, bam!! Buuuut, let’s say I get the weight perfectly centered and dispersed, will the cabinet and casters hold it?

I would build a frame on the top of the cabinet with 2x4's or something oriented vertically, preferably loading the actual sides of the cabinet itself.  Then the coundertop attaches to that frame, then the tank on the countertop.

If the casters are plastic, no.  You'd literally just remove them and then it "might work" but that's assuming the steel itself is strong enough to take the weight.

On 8/1/2022 at 8:02 PM, StevesFishTanks said:

you may be able to unbolt them and replace with heavy duty ones.

This is also another option.  But I don't know if you really want to go down the route of trying to move a loaded fish tank.  That's why I was trying to understand if the wheels were necessary or not.

Looks to be similar in construction to this one, but I don't see specs for weight limits.

https://medlinecapitalquote.com/products/steel-crash-cart-by-waterloo-healthcare/

I found one on amazon, lists it as

• Load Capacity 300 lb

I don't trust that to be reliable, but just wanted to note it.

Edited by nabokovfan87

Most manufacturers of chests like this will list weight capacity. Find your model number and it may tell you. Water is about 8lbs/ gallon. Substrate heavier but you can get a general idea. I kept a 10 g on a wooden stand with caster wheels. It did just fine. 

Edited by Guppysnail

I would try sitting (very carefully) on the cart first.  If you don’t feel safe sitting on it, then don’t risk putting a tank on it.  You might look into getting a 6 gallon cube to go on the cart.  They’re reasonably priced and should fit fine.  With a plywood base the size of the top of the cart to spread the weight to the edges (where the strength is), it should be safe.  I have 6 gallon cubes on rolling file cabinets with no issues (I do NOT roll them around but the wheels are holding). They have plastic veneer over what is certainly particle board tops.  I also have a 14 gallon cube on a non-rolling file cabinet with a similar top with no issues.  Here’s a pic of the “Low Row”.  6 G cubes to the left, 14 G cube in the middle, tiny 2 G next, then 20 G long.

EC74612D-AB45-4505-95C9-E178DF24F3C3.jpeg

• Love 2