210 gallon tank

Phillip

I was just gifted a 210 gallon tank from a family member! I’ve always wanted a big tank. It does not come with a stand. I also have no idea how to stock it!!

1. I don’t think local stores carry a stand that size. Does anyone recommend an online retailer for a stand?

2. My tap water is: 7.2 ph, 230 TDS. What fish would be a good choice for this water and tank size??

Thanks!!

• Love 1

On 7/31/2022 at 2:50 PM, lefty o said:

7.2 ph, just about anything will go in that. if you are fairly handy and have some basic tools, you could build your own stand.

I thought about building my own stand. I’m sure I could build the stand, I’m just worried about the trim, doors etc. It will be my main display tank in the living room and I’d like for it to look good. I’d like to be able to hide stuff behind doors too. 

Do you have any links on where to start building a stand?

The cheapest way is to call the local metal work shop or wielder. They are going to be less than most companies. The shipping can kill you on a nice metal stand. If you have any carpentry skills you can make a nice heavy duty stand with 2x4. Or if you have a cabinet maker around they can do a great job. most custom aquarium makers are going to be the same people That make the stands. 

• Like 1

you lucky duck!!!!! I think I would take my time setting up something like that, really plan it out to establish a stable ecosystem. Good substrate depth, tons of plants and rocks and wood; then I'd keep really beautiful and/or somewhat unusual fish that are normally recommended for like 20-40gal like panda garra, festivum cichlids, a chonky tetra like buenos aires or congo, and maybe some gigantic flower shrimp just for fun. But that's just me, I can imagine that tank sounds kinda crazy.

Ooh, or maybe a huuuuge swarm of...pygmy cories? regular size cories? something considered 'nano' but that does better in massive groups and would be a really unique sight to behold...

whatever you do, congrats and have fun! make us proud!!!!

• Like 2

On 8/1/2022 at 1:02 AM, Mahi27 said:

you lucky duck!!!!! I think I would take my time setting up something like that, really plan it out to establish a stable ecosystem. Good substrate depth, tons of plants and rocks and wood; then I'd keep really beautiful and/or somewhat unusual fish that are normally recommended for like 20-40gal like panda garra, festivum cichlids, a chonky tetra like buenos aires or congo, and maybe some gigantic flower shrimp just for fun. But that's just me, I can imagine that tank sounds kinda crazy.

Ooh, or maybe a huuuuge swarm of...pygmy cories? regular size cories? something considered 'nano' but that does better in massive groups and would be a really unique sight to behold...

whatever you do, congrats and have fun! make us proud!!!!

That all sounds great! 

On 8/1/2022 at 1:24 AM, Flumpweesel said:

I'd be tempted by koi or goldfish. You really have got so many options. 

I would possibly be tempted to keep it unheated so maybe a native tank could be fun.

What's your dream big fish ?

I have some goldfish outside, and I thought of bringing them inside. I’m not really sure of my dream big fish. I never thought I’d have a tank this big lol

On 8/1/2022 at 12:39 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Maybe the 'livebearer' tank with guppies

I could see a million guppies in there by next year 🤣🤣

On 7/31/2022 at 9:48 PM, Brandon p said:

a lot of neon tetra

I would love a ton of neons on there!

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 6:17 PM, Brandon p said:

Or if you have a cabinet maker around they can do a great job.

That’s a great idea! A friend of mine is a cabinet maker. I could build the stand and get him to trim it out and make it look good. 

• Like 4

On 8/1/2022 at 2:24 AM, Flumpweesel said:

I'd be tempted by koi or goldfish. You really have got so many options. 

I would possibly be tempted to keep it unheated so maybe a native tank could be fun.

What's your dream big fish ?

Koi get so big so fast. I have one in a good size pond 30’x20’x6’ and 6 months it’s grown 8 inches. I don’t know much about koi I just know mine is big. I started with 6 2” koi and just the one hade past a few weeks.some gold fish is great

Edited by Brandon p
  • Like 1