Had a scare last night

ChefConfit

Last night I did a very large water change in my 40 breeder. It had been a mess. I hadn't done a water change in months and I went over a week with no light or hob because of electrical problems (I did have a sponge filter going). By the time I got everything working again I had a lot of plants melt and lower leave had been shaded out. Anyway why I did a water change isn't important.

I did like a 60ish% water change and jumped in the shower once I'd finished. When I got out 5 or 6 of my cories we're floating, but still alive. I realized I had forgot my declirinator and quickly added it in. I kept an eye on them for a few hours and a few recoverd but there were still 3 floating when I went to bed. 

Luckily when I woke up all had recovered which was a relief, but I'd been stressing all night and was a little stressed at work worried something would go wrong. 

Anyway I hadn't been on here in a long time and miss you guys so I figured I'd share

• Like 1

That's tough.  I'm glad they are ok.  Hopefully things on the tank settle out for you.

If you're not able to spend as much time with the tank as you'd like I would suggest getting a bunch of anubias to help out.  Pretty robust plant that doesn't require much to do really well. 

That’s stressful, and I’ve done the same thing. We have a very low concentration of chlorine so I can top off or do a small water change without adding conditioner, but I did a big 50% change and totally forgot to add it until the last second. Luckily there wasn’t any noticeable reaction from the fish, but still stressful. 

I dont think it’s the Cl. I have the same issues and I’m on a well. The massive change in water chemistry and micro organisms along with how fast you refill the tank. The tank should be refilled at a snails pace or it can cause this same type thing you discribed. It one of the things you can fill fast many times and have no issue but then that one time because one thing is different really stresses the fish to a greater extent that day.