7+ day "vacation"

LadyBurrito

Okay, so I just got word from my apartment complex's management team that I need to vacate my apartment for at least a week for repairs. I will be moving my main aquarium to a safe place where the repair crew shouldn't have to be anywhere near it and risk bumping into it and causing a crack. That being said, anyone who has had constructive repairs knows that the estimate the contractors give is never accurate and from the repair plan I'm pretty certain it will be longer than one week. I won't be able to be present at any point of the repairs, so I am worried about my tank getting access to food. I have several tank jumper species (wrestling halfbeaks primarily) so I must keep a lid on at basically all times so I don't think an auto feeder will work. Any other suggestions for what I can do? I'm nervous to try the vacation food blocks but open to feedback on those. 

Stats: 

29gal classic Petco aquarium with Aqueon Versa lid and AquaClear 50 HOB (heater as well) 

6 African Dwarf Frogs, 1 male Betta, 3 Wrestling halfbeaks, 7-8 pygmy cory, 8-9 Dwarf Emerald Danios, 12-15 Kuhli loaches

Live plants + Snails

Can you place the tank somewhere where it will get some sunlight? I’m not saying put it in full sun but maybe get an hour of daylight per day. This will encourage algae and a lot of critters will eat that. Also if you could put your light on a timer. Maybe increase the time the tank is lit. You still want to have darkness though to allow your critters to rest.

Live plants also help. 

I had limited success with the vacation blocks the jelly like ones just let fish gorge, and I'm not sure what goes on with those time release dissolving ones. 

A week isn't an massive issue for most things I suppose if they extend insist you are given access to check and feed the tank  a good feed will buy you some more time

• Like 1

I agree, vacation blocks are useless in my tanks because my fish and critters just finish it instantly.. 

On 7/26/2022 at 9:50 AM, Flumpweesel said:

I had limited success with the vacation blocks the jelly like ones just let fish gorge, and I'm not sure what goes on with those time release dissolving ones. 

A week isn't an massive issue for most things I suppose if they extend insist you are given access to check and feed the tank  a good feed will buy you some more time

Buy an auto feeder and food like bug bites. The food needs to be of like sizzle to work best. You can go with the blocks even if they last three days. Fish don’t have to eat everyday but 7 is long. 3 or 4 is much be. The auto feeder is the best. A coop has a good on but if you don’t have time the nears pets store or Amazon if you have two days.
 https://youtu.be/8RUJRjujmQM

On 7/25/2022 at 3:56 PM, LadyBurrito said:

That being said, anyone who has had constructive repairs knows that the estimate the contractors give is never accurate and from the repair plan I'm pretty certain it will be longer than one week. I won't be able to be present at any point of the repairs, so I am worried about my tank getting access to food. I have several tank jumper species (wrestling halfbeaks primarily) so I must keep a lid on at basically all times so I don't think an auto feeder will work. Any other suggestions for what I can do? I'm nervous to try the vacation food blocks but open to feedback on those. 

My biggest concern would be that AC filter and it stopping if the power trips.

I would suggest at minimum you have an airstone in every tank just for the sake of it in addition to everything else.  Clean the filters and gravel vac and all that the day before all the stuff goes down and just so that for however long it's going to be, the fish can have as clean of water as possible. 

I would be concerned about noise as well as just the general shadows and activity scaring the fish.  Construction gets loud, vibrates pretty loud through the floor, and there's always crap in the air.  A towel over the tank wouldn't be a bad idea either.

On 7/25/2022 at 9:56 PM, Brandon p said:

Buy an auto feeder and food like bug bites.

Awesome suggestion.  Set it to feed every 3 days or so, that way if there is some issue and the filtration stops, you're not having a fouled tank.

Also.... welcome to the forum!

On 7/25/2022 at 3:56 PM, LadyBurrito said:

Any other suggestions for what I can do? I'm nervous to try the vacation food blocks but open to feedback on those. 

Depending on access to the tank, I'd suggest repashy over those blocks.  You might be able to get in once every day or once every other day just to check on the tank and feed. Depends on the complex itself.

On 7/26/2022 at 12:56 AM, Brandon p said:

Buy an auto feeder and food like bug bites. The food needs to be of like sizzle to work best. You can go with the blocks even if they last three days. Fish don’t have to eat everyday but 7 is long. 3 or 4 is much be. The auto feeder is the best. A coop has a good on but if you don’t have time the nears pets store or Amazon if you have two days.

She cannot use an autofeeder due to her jumpers.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 11:56 PM, Brandon p said:

Thank you for this feedback. Unfortunately I don't think an autofeeder will work as stated above due to my tank jumpers and the need for me to keep my lid on at all times. 

nabokovfan87 - You make a VERY good point about the power being turned off. The repairs are for a leak in the ceiling resulting in the ceiling needing to be ripped out in both my bathroom and bedroom and then replaced. My tank will be moved to the farthest corner of my living room so it should experience no risk of contact with the work crew, but that doesn't mean stuff in the air won't make it's way over so a towel is brilliant as well. 

As far as the airstone idea, does anyone know how long the Aquarium Co-op one will last on battery alone? I think I could convince my apartment management to let me have access very briefly, so I could possibly purchase two and rotate them as needed. 

On 7/26/2022 at 8:18 AM, LadyBurrito said:

As far as the airstone idea, does anyone know how long the Aquarium Co-op one will last on battery alone? I think I could convince my apartment management to let me have access very briefly, so I could possibly purchase two and rotate them as needed. 

I think less than a day, even on the power saving mode. If you want I can unplug mine and test it for you. I'm home enough it won't be an issue when it runs out of battery.

I would buy a piece of plexiglass mount the feeder to it and cut/drill a small hole big enough for the food to drop. I forgot the size of the tank but I bought pieces that fit right. this is just a little bigger 

Falken Design Acrylic Plexiglass Sheet, Clear, 15" x 30" x 1/16" Falkendesign-Acrylic-CL-1/16-1530 https://a.co/d/1h2JW3B

can we see a pic of the top that is there now

Marine Metal Aeratr Bubble Box 1.5V https://a.co/d/dBOafpi

I put this one because it runs the longest  I’ve seen.