Is this ich, or another type of infection?

OlsonAquatics

Hey everyone, I've noticed my Betta has been fairly lazy recently. He's been hanging out in the front of the tank today so I can get a good look at him and I noticed this on his body. I know ich is white dots, but I noticed this today.

He's been mainly chilling at the bottom of the tank the last few days.

My water parameters are fine, all the other fish, shrimp, and snails in the tank are doing just fine.

Ive treated the tank with some kanaplex as a precaution, but any suggestions?

20220721_142732.jpg

20220721_142522.jpg

On 7/21/2022 at 4:30 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It's not ich in my view.  Might be a fungus issue. 

Treatment would be maracyn (or erithromycin) as well as something like Ich-X and salt dips.

I would start by adding an airstone to the tank in addition to anything else you do.

I've got erithromycin in there as well, and I've got a sponge filter and a HOB filter, so there's plenty of oxygenation.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 7:53 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Pimafix isn't really a medication.  It won't hurt, but it might not have a desired result for this situation.  I just looked up the ingredients and it's a bay oil solution.

This would be the equivalent of having botanicals in the tank.

Well, between kanaplex, pimafix and erithromycin, it should clear everything up. The place I went didn't have anything specifically for ich, so I had to do what I had to do.

• Like 1

Mixing this many medication can cause negative reaction between the medication what I would do is is a large water change and run active carbon for 24hr to remove the medication and treat with Kanaplex as it looks like could be any injury or bacteria if it doesn't have a fuzzy appearance kanaplex is more broad spectrum antibiotic treatment and I would add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties depending on the quality of the leaves you might have to add one leaf per gallon to get a benefial effect

Edited by Colu
Typo
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 9:23 PM, Colu said:

Mixing this many medication can cause negative reaction between the medication what I would do is is a large water change and run active carbon for 24hr to remove the medication and treat with Kanaplex it looks like could be any injury or bacteria if it doesn't have a fuzzy appearance kanaplex it more broad spectrum antibiotic treatment and I would add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties depending on the quality of the leaves you might have to add one leaf per gallon to get a benefial effect

I've got an Indian almond leaves, cones and bark in the tank, so that's all doing well, I'll just stick with the kanaplex then, doesn't look fuzzy or nothing. He just seems kinda lathergic. So I'll do the water change and so the kanaplex again.

He had Popeye not too long ago and I was able to cure that with eithromycin and kanaplex, this just seems like maybe it came from the neon tetras I got a few weeks ago. The tetras seem fine, though, so I'm unsure.

On 7/22/2022 at 3:02 AM, OlsonAquatics said:

I've got an Indian almond leaves, cones and bark in the tank, so that's all doing well, I'll just stick with the kanaplex then, doesn't look fuzzy or nothing. He just seems kinda lathergic. So I'll do the water change and so the kanaplex again.

He had Popeye not too long ago and I was able to cure that with eithromycin and kanaplex, this just seems like maybe it came from the neon tetras I got a few weeks ago. The tetras seem fine, though, so I'm unsure.

If you recently introduce new fish into his tank it possible they bought a pathogen or parasite with them if you see no improvement after a full course of kanaplex I would recommend doing a course of paracleanse to treat for parasites that will cover all bases

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 10:09 PM, Colu said:

If you recently introduce new fish into his tank it possible they bought a pathogen or parasite with them if you see no improvement after a full course of kanaplex I would recommend doing a course of paracleanse to treat for parasites that will cover all bases

Thank you! That's what I'm expecting honestly. All the neon tetras look healthy, but you never know what they could've brought with them from the fish store, so I'm just treating the whole tank and covering all the bases.