Water Change on Low Tanks?

On 7/16/2022 at 12:51 PM, MattyM said:

I have a new low-to-the-ground tank, am hoping my Python is able to handle it.

Python on the sink yes.  On the ground with a hand siphon, until the bucket or tub matches water height, you're going to have very low flow issues to the point where you might not even be able to siphon off mulm and only change water.

There are pumps that use a standard 1/2" or 3/8" fittings.  Essentially you need a pump that can either go into the tank and remove water or something that can be external to the tank and pump it into the bucket or other water disposal spot.  Depending on the size of the tank itself will determine the size of the pump you want.  I would also recommend using hose clamps because you're going to be moving the pump from place to place and that can leak over time.  The clamps can as well, but hopefully helps to hold things on.

Here's an example of how this is typically done.  It's very common for large tanks.

Submersible pump you'd essentially do something like this with the ACO pumphead:

image.png.9dd901220f6353b022684d6d6fc7891e.png

I have a hygger submersible pump off Amazon. I detach the python end (to get to the actual hose) and insert this in 7/8 fitting on the pump. I then walk the pump around the bottom of the tank (important note: I have gravel, not sand) and it will suck up any detritus that is kicked up. I’ve also just left it sitting in a corner for a straight water change. This actively pumps the water out (no reliance on gravity). I then reattach the python fitting with the hook and run water from my sink to refill the tank. The pump is much, much faster. 

On 7/17/2022 at 9:05 AM, ccc24 said:

I have a hygger submersible pump off Amazon. I detach the python end (to get to the actual hose) and insert this in 7/8 fitting on the pump. I then walk the pump around the bottom of the tank (important note: I have gravel, not sand) and it will suck up any detritus that is kicked up. I’ve also just left it sitting in a corner for a straight water change. This actively pumps the water out (no reliance on gravity). I then reattach the python fitting with the hook and run water from my sink to refill the tank. The pump is much, much faster. 

What size hygger pump did you get that you have had success with - I want to get one for gravel vac'ing and adding water back in.

I was looking into the sicce syncra silent. They work fully submerged, or dry and in line. So plop it in a bucket or tank. Or have it pump water with a tube and or gravel vacuum while its outside the tank. Aren't all that cheap, but sicce seems to make good pumps.

On 7/17/2022 at 6:04 PM, Vince C said:

What size hygger pump did you get that you have had success with - I want to get one for gravel vac'ing and adding water back in.

I use this one. 

hygger 400 GPH Quick Water Change Aquarium Pump Submersible Fountain Water Pump Fish Tank Circulation Pump with 2 Adaptors https://a.co/7yJNyZo