Bristlenose pleco temperature guide

Solstice_Lacer

I've seen varying recommendations on the temperature range for bristlenose. Some say anywhere been 60 and 80F. Others say more like 74 - 86F. 

I've considered getting one, but I don't want it to get too cold. I have white clouds, so I don't really want the tank above 75F.

My tanks current seasonal temp range is about 65-75F. If they need it hotter than mid 60s in the winter I could get an aquarium coop heater.

Bristlenose keepers of the forum, what are your thoughts? 

On 7/16/2022 at 8:51 AM, Solstice_Lacer said:

I've seen varying recommendations on the temperature range for bristlenose. Some say anywhere been 60 and 80F. Others say more like 74 - 86F. 

I've considered getting one, but I don't want it to get too cold. I have white clouds, so I don't really want the tank above 75F.

My tanks current seasonal temp range is about 65-75F. If they need it hotter than mid 60s in the winter I could get an aquarium coop heater.

Bristlenose keepers of the forum, what are your thoughts? 

I've had them cool and as high up as 78 or so.  They do fine.  Once they acclimate they are pretty easy going.  For me, it's always been acclimation that's been the issue.

Rubberlips I kept slightly cooler than I did my bristlenose.  They were in the same tank for 2-3 years as well without issues.  70-78 was my range.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I have been keeping common bristlenose for over 20years I have kept and breed them at temperature of 74-82°F without any issues it also depends on the species of bristlenose some species like ancistrus Ranunculus like 77-84°F ancistrus wabenmuster like 75-85°F

Edited by Colu

On 12/14/2023 at 7:44 PM, Colu said:

I have been keeping common bristlenose for over 20years I have kept and breed them at temperature of 74-82°F without any issues it also depends on the species of bristlenose some species like ancistrus Ranunculus like 77-84°F ancistrus wabenmuster like 75-85°F

mine rarely ever see over 72, and no matter how hard i try, they keep breeding.

• Like 1

I have kept bristlenose in a wide range of temps, from low 70s to mid 80s. I have tanks of goodeids on lower racks in my basement fish room with no heaters in the winter, tanks stay 70-72 and I've also had them in discus tanks that are kept 84-86.  All the ones I have kept are either albino, super red, or green dragon, until recently I added a couple of wabenmuster to a tank that is kept at 78 and they are doing good, I have seen some spawning activity but no eggs yet. 

On 12/15/2023 at 3:49 AM, lefty o said:

mine rarely ever see over 72, and no matter how hard i try, they keep breeding.

Bristlenose are sort of like the rabbits of the fish world even when you don't want them to breed they breed I think I must have 200+ fry at the moment