Vinyl Tubing Not Aquarium Safe?

Guppy Guy

I just went out and bought a bunch of vinyl tubing for my gumball aquarium project(see signature) and got back home and realized that the tubing is “not for use with aquariums”.

It says it is safe for potable water, so why isn’t it aquarium safe? Can I still use it? Thanks

On 7/14/2022 at 6:31 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Does it have NSF anywhere on what you have?

This is what I would go by as well.

You don't know what's actually in the vinyl, could be additives or something.  If it's 100% vinyl it might work, but you also might just have issues using it compared to other stuff.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 8:55 PM, Guppysnail said:

Is it the thick

I have 2 sizes I am using. The Larger intake is 3/4” OD and 5/8” ID. The smaller return is 1/4” OD and 0.170” ID. Note that the intake (large one) will not be in contact with water on both sides, just the inside. The return (the small one) will contact water on the inside and outside, since it is inside the intake.

Both labels say the same thing, so here is one of them:

DC3227C0-19DF-48D2-848C-CECF050870A0.jpeg

Edited by Guppy Guy

On 7/15/2022 at 9:45 AM, Guppysnail said:

But I do not see where it says not aquarium use.

Maybe I read it wrong, but the red circle with a slash looks like an aquarium to me, but maybe I was wrong. I think I will use it and cross my fingers that nothing bad happens 🤞 

• Haha 1

On 7/15/2022 at 10:41 AM, Guppy Guy said:

Maybe I read it wrong, but the red circle with a slash looks like an aquarium to me, but maybe I was wrong. I think I will use it and cross my fingers that nothing bad happens 🤞 

Looked like a battery to my bad eyes 🤣

So my assumption is that there is a certification required to state fish safe  ( or food safe) and if they don't pay for the certification they can't sell as safe for fish.  Doesn't mean it's not safe but that it hasn't been tested maybe  or that its not in a food grade condition from factory so I would make sure its clean before using it on an aquarium.  

I can't think of any other reason it would need to carry the warning.