Shrimp proof tank dividers for 40gal breeder

So, I was thinking of setting up a shrimp rack with 4 10gal tanks, for 4 different colors of shrimp, cuz it'd be about the same size as a 40gal breeder, which I have a perfect shelf for. I was going to try to connect the 4 tanks for a bigger water column, but I was thinking itd be better to split up a regular 40gal breeder instead.

Do y'all know of a good, shrimp safe/effective way to split up the tank? I've seen lots of tank dividers, but it seems like the little baby shrimp would just waltz right through the holes. I was thinking about maybe making something out of window screen, or maybe filter material, some kinda big sponge... Have any of you tried something like this? Is there an off-the-rack solution? Best DIY suggestions?

Thanks!

On 7/12/2022 at 12:53 PM, Corbidorbidoodle said:

Have any of you tried something like this? Is there an off-the-rack solution? Best DIY suggestions?

Flip aquatics has videos.  I would think matala mat is the best use or some of the foam options.

Here's the one's cory did and a little bit with his testing / use.

There was a hobbyist who was making some, but they weren't shrimp proof.  They were awesome, just not shrimp proof.

I don’t think there is such a thing as a fully shrimp proof barrier.  The tiny babies can get through or around surprisingly fine foam and adults will climb right out of the water and over the top of any barrier.  I had amanos drip acclimating in a bucket just the other day and walked back over to check on them and one was going for a hike straight up the side of the bucket and was over 8 inches above the water line!!!  I’ve found adult Neocaridina shrimp in the HOB’s before and they had climbed up the outflow ramp of the filter.

I’m a member (mostly passive, I’m no expert) of multiple shrimp groups and I’ve read tales of shrimp getting either through or possibly across even 40 ppi matten foam.  I’ve even read of some that literally jumped or crawled from one tank to the other.  🤷🏻‍♀️  I wish I had a good suggestion for you, but I don’t know of a truly shrimp proof barrier other than solid sheets of glass, plastic, or acrylic that go all the way to the cover and even that’s in doubt.

Shrimp will get through, or walk over the top of most any tank divider, especially anything foam. I have a rack of ten gallon tanks, with four tanks on each level. On the middle shelf, I put shrimp in one tank, and there are shrimp in every tank now, and the tanks have lids, with there only being cut out in the back corner to allow air lines to pass through. I don't know how some of the shrimp breeders that have tons of tanks keep them from escaping into other tanks, they must be diligent about looking in the tanks and scooping out any that don't belong in that one. 

On 7/12/2022 at 4:13 PM, Odd Duck said:

I had amanos drip acclimating in a bucket just the other day and walked back over to check on them and one was going for a hike straight up the side of the bucket and was over 8 inches above the water line!!!

Yeah.... I had one try to walk the house to tell me she fell out of the tank.  Was not expecting that. Tank, with lid, with basically no way for them to get out.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 6:49 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

On the middle shelf, I put shrimp in one tank, and there are shrimp in every tank now,

On 7/14/2022 at 12:42 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yeah.... I had one try to walk the house to tell me she fell out of the tank. 

What!  That is crazy!  I didn't know they travelled!