Hello from Lancaster, Pa.

Dave K

Hello everyone.  I'm Dave from Lancaster, Pa.  I had my first aquarium as a child.  It was a 10 gallon fresh water tank.  I didn't know much about it then but enjoyed the fish with the help of my dad.  That might have been around the early 1970's.

Jumping to 1999, I started the hobby on my own with a 30 gallon fresh water fish only tank.  This is where I cut my teeth so to speak.  I tried canister filters and then switched to HOB filters.  I learned the nitrogen cycle and started my tank back then with a few live bearer platys.  Those fish survived it.  Within a few months, IO had a well stocked tank with several fish of mollys, platys, sword tails, tiger barbs.  The tank was pretty successful for me.  I had that tank for over a year before I had to move with a work reassignment.  I gave the fish away to other hobbyists and eventually sold the equipment.

Now just about a month ago, I got the urge to get back into it.   I now have a 20 gallon high tank with Cherry Barbs, and Glow Light Tetras that are doing fine.  I also went the live plant route and have a few Java Fern, a Crytocoryne Pontederlifolla, and a few Crytocoryne Luciens.

The first set of fish and plants were added on June 15 of this year.  The tanks has been doing well for me these first few weeks.  The fish appear healthy.  I'm just waiting for things to get seasoned as time goes on.

I would like to add some more leafy plants in the background to give more play space for the fish.  Any suggestions?  I would like to have some plants that could use up the nitrates quicker.  My nitrates are holding around 10ppm.

I am using EASY GREEN fertilizer once a week, Aqauriumn CO-OP  Root tabs (3 across the front), and Flourish Excel twice a week.My light is a Ffluval AquaSky 12W full spectrum that is 16 inch to 24 inch.  My fileter is an AquaClear 50.

I'm looking forward to enjoying this forum.

Dave K

17598885_AquariumFullView6-22-22.jpg.b72663ba2b9691ba4e0a5d5bf6c430cd.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/29/2022 at 5:55 PM, Dave K said:

Hello everyone.  I'm Dave from Lancaster, Pa.  I had my first aquarium as a child.  It was a 10 gallon fresh water tank.  I didn't know much about it then but enjoyed the fish with the help of my dad.  That might have been around the early 1970's.

Hi Dave, welcome! I grew up in Shamokin, got family in Scranton too.

• Like 2

Welcome.  I’m in York, PA and just joined The Lancaster Aquarium club in May and Cichlid Club Of York.  

I love your rock placement and your ferns look great. Easy leafy background plants I like are Aponogeton varieties as well as Vallisneria.  Here are two of mine with those that I let grow WAY to big 🤣 but I like the jungle look. The broad is Aponogeton ulvaceus the narrow is longiplumulosus also in there is anacharis elodea densa which is easy and tall as well as Ludwigia repens. 

C37E8377-B249-4DB3-83EB-D4C9CC7449FE.jpeg

685DB979-E78F-49F8-A922-845DD63E828A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 6/29/2022 at 6:51 PM, Patrick_G said:

Wecome! I’ve been to Lancaster a few times when I lived north of Baltimore. Nice place 🙂

Thanks Patrick.  I really like your aqua scaping.  The red plants in the front really add depth.  I too have some Cherry Barbs and really like them as they compliment the green plant leaves.

On 6/30/2022 at 8:31 AM, Guppysnail said:

Welcome.  I’m in York, PA and just joined The Lancaster Aquarium club in May and Cichlid Club Of York.  

I love your rock placement and your ferns look great. Easy leafy background plants I like are Aponogeton varieties as well as Vallisneria.  Here are two of mine with those that I let grow WAY to big 🤣 but I like the jungle look. The broad is Aponogeton ulvaceus the narrow is longiplumulosus also in there is anacharis elodea densa which is easy and tall as well as Ludwigia repens. 

C37E8377-B249-4DB3-83EB-D4C9CC7449FE.jpeg

685DB979-E78F-49F8-A922-845DD63E828A.jpeg

Thank you.  I like your plant placement and how they have grown out of the water.  Looks very impressive.  What kind of snail do you have?  I'm sure he is a great glass cleaner too.  Does he ever to climb out of the tank.?

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2022 at 9:04 PM, Dave K said:

Thank you.  I like your plant placement and how they have grown out of the water.  Looks very impressive.  What kind of snail do you have?  I'm sure he is a great glass cleaner too.  Does he ever to climb out of the tank.?

He is a mystery snail. When he was younger he would perch on the rim or the canister outflow or lid every time I did a water change. Then he crawled on my hand when I was done and I would return him. 
He is older now so just comes to the top for shell pets and a finger tip nibble. Here are some older photos of him visiting during maintenance. 

0448E70E-8C59-4B4C-A8B9-5EB9D0BB977A.png

C57E72FF-3696-49F2-BD52-C2CC38BB9204.png

2B07BBE2-ECD0-49AE-87EB-D23B87AFB30E.png

• Love 1

On 6/29/2022 at 4:55 PM, Dave K said:

Jumping to 1999, I started the hobby on my own with a 30 gallon fresh water fish only tank.  This is where I cut my teeth so to speak.  I tried canister filters and then switched to HOB filters.  I learned the nitrogen cycle and started my tank back then with a few live bearer platys.  Those fish survived it.  Within a few months, IO had a well stocked tank with several fish of mollys, platys, sword tails, tiger barbs.  The tank was pretty successful for me.  I had that tank for over a year before I had to move with a work reassignment.  I gave the fish away to other hobbyists and eventually sold the equipment.

Now just about a month ago, I got the urge to get back into it.   I now have a 20 gallon high tank with Cherry Barbs, and Glow Light Tetras that are doing fine.  I also went the live plant route and have a few Java Fern, a Crytocoryne Pontederlifolla, and a few Crytocoryne Luciens.

The first set of fish and plants were added on June 15 of this year.  The tanks has been doing well for me these first few weeks.  The fish appear healthy.  I'm just waiting for things to get seasoned as time goes on.

I would like to add some more leafy plants in the background to give more play space for the fish.  Any suggestions?  I would like to have some plants that could use up the nitrates quicker.  My nitrates are holding around 10ppm.

I am using EASY GREEN fertilizer once a week, Aqauriumn CO-OP  Root tabs (3 across the front), and Flourish Excel twice a week.My light is a Ffluval AquaSky 12W full spectrum that is 16 inch to 24 inch.  My fileter is an AquaClear 50.

I'm looking forward to enjoying this forum.

Dave K

17598885_AquariumFullView6-22-22.jpg.b72663ba2b9691ba4e0a5d5bf6c430cd.jpg

I like your tank, it's simple and with nice well selected plants, everything seems in order and you seem to be doing very well, new here too but I guess I can tell you that you are welcome.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 9:09 PM, Fish Folk said:

Woah… @Chick-In-Of-TheSea you’ve got fam in NEPA??!!

Scranton, PA born here…

Oh yeah. Coal region born and raised.  Yous guys too.  🙂   Hard to find scrapple down here (FL), but sometimes I can in the freezer aisle.

On 6/30/2022 at 9:36 PM, Guppysnail said:

C57E72FF-3696-49F2-BD52-C2CC38BB9204.png

@Guppysnail I saw him in the water before, but wow!  He is HUGE!  Shell looks great the whole whorl.  Nice & healthy.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2022 at 11:36 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Oh yeah. Coal region born and raised.  Yous guys too.  🙂   Hard to find scrapple down here (FL), but sometimes I can in the freezer aisle.

Couple two-tree-fitty… up de Eynon… heyna?!

😂

• Haha 1

On 7/1/2022 at 10:36 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@Guppysnail I saw him in the water before, but wow!  He is HUGE!  Shell looks great the whole whorl.  Nice & healthy.

Scrapple?  Did someone say scrapple?  (He says with drool running out both sides of his mouth.   Dang it! Now I’m hungry 

• Haha 3

On 7/1/2022 at 11:36 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

My folks were from the Bethlehem steel area. So Youns would always be welcome. That was last year. He is larger now. I don’t take him out since he no longer comes out on his own. I don’t want to stress him but he still comes to my hand in the tank. Scrapple…always a debate jelly or syrup. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1