Light Angle to Attract Baby Brine Shrimp

eddie462

Good evening, this is my Ziss brine shrimp hatchery and I need help with attracting all of the bbs towards the light at the bottom.  Once the shrimp are hatched I place hatchery on this desk with the light on. I wait about five minutes for the bbs to swim to the bottom. I cover the hatchery as shown in the second photo and it helps. The third picture shows my issue. Some of the bbs will be at the surface amongst the shells. The fifth picture is how I normally position the light. If I place the light like in the fourth picture, the brine shrimp are all over the place, so I don't do that. 

What is the best way to catch the last of the bbs that is at the surface. At the optimal time of harvest, about a quarter of the shrimp will be at the surface and I don't want to waste them. Is there a good bbs seine that I could purchase to separate the last 25% off bbs from the shells? I add the brine water to my aquariums and to my house plants.

IMG_4446.JPG

IMG_4447.JPG

IMG_4995.JPG

IMG_4996.JPG

IMG_4997.JPG

On 6/28/2022 at 8:01 PM, TheChosenOne said:

This post just reminded me that I have a bendable plant light that I can use for this same purpose.  I've been using a small rechargeable spot light.

That is a book light 🤣. I have a small flash light that plugs in the wall. Energizer I think. I use that as well

On 6/28/2022 at 7:47 PM, Guppysnail said:

Here is how I do mine. I found covering the entire thing with the light under ended up illuminating the entire thing. I leave the bottom exposed and shine a light across not up. That way the hatchery is much darker than the bottom spout. It works best this way for me. 

09ADC99A-AD29-4E60-9855-7588C65E9F14.jpeg

D5EE14C4-28E9-4C6F-8B09-42E4FAD8BBFF.jpeg

Thank you. I will try shining the light perpendicularly like in the pictures. 

• Like 1

D9EC2492-B383-4EEE-8FED-062CE6EFC383.jpegI have one of these and have one light on the bottom each side, facing straight up. @Guppysnaili wish that was all the bbs I had to make. That’s the biggest thing with having so many fish is feeding them. I’m going to have to make a cover for mine. This time of the year I substitute some bbs with mosquito larvae sorry @Cory

Edited by Brandon p
  • Like 1