Advice needed for Betta..possible euthanasia advice!

A Moore

R.I.P. Pinky. I am so sorry you had to make this decision. I know he knows how hard you fought for him. It's a terrible position to have to be in, but watching them suffer is just as bad. I know I have kicked myself in the past for not realizing it was "time". Really sorry for your loss, but Pinky will be in a much better place swimming on in the fishy afterlife! Sending hugs your way from Texas 😭

• Sad 1

Thank you for all your support Goldie Blue! My son helped me bury him, we shed our tears and then we went out this afternoon and chose a new fish. We loved Pinky and he will be one of those special ones we remember.
Now, we will enjoy our new friend, Luna.  Hopefully I have learned a thing or two from Pinky to be a better caregiver.
I will post a picture of him to end the post in a somewhat positive way. Oh, and we drove into Nashville to our favorite LFS instead of purchasing from a big box store. He is a male Dumbo Betta. 

D6B07B16-6072-473D-8D5B-2E7320A9398A.jpeg

3C9011D9-96A9-451A-8038-260C29F126E7.jpeg

89B5D3AC-7C89-4665-A684-D8043069235F.jpeg

9A058695-03B9-4B02-8624-A477CFF7E03B.jpeg

5F0D66D5-55FD-4451-8288-5AF76F9BDDF5.jpeg

• Love 3

Luna is a beauty! I love her grumpy little face. It sucks to go through this kind of thing, but as you said at least you know now for the future! I have learned so much from this forum and through my own stupid mistakes over the last year and a half. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2022 at 12:45 PM, A Moore said:

9A058695-03B9-4B02-8624-A477CFF7E03B.jpeg

I'm very sorry for your struggle, loss, and the difficulties you've experienced with the hobby.  I hope you focus on the positive moments with Pinky and put the love and care you have for him at the forefront of your mind.

I LOVE this photo of Luna.  What a fun, active photo.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Thank you all again so much for the help and support!! Our LFS had Luna, all their bettas in methalyne blue as a preventative. They also kept them in small tanks that circulated all together. They recommended a bit of salt in the tank at all times (until I mentioned I had a planted tank). I know salt isn’t good for plants but I’m going to keep a tsp in there to see how it goes. I’ve never done that on going but appreciate the mention that that is what some of you do as well. I will be keeping a close eye on Luna! ☺️🔬😍

• Love 1

On 7/8/2022 at 10:29 AM, A Moore said:

Thank you all again so much for the help and support!! Our LFS had Luna, all their bettas in methalyne blue as a preventative. They also kept them in small tanks that circulated all together. They recommended a bit of salt in the tank at all times (until I mentioned I had a planted tank). I know salt isn’t good for plants but I’m going to keep a tsp in there to see how it goes. I’ve never done that on going but appreciate the mention that that is what some of you do as well. I will be keeping a close eye on Luna! ☺️🔬😍

I have not experienced any problems with plants and low dose aquarium salt (1 TBS/ 5 gallons)... except with red plants, which I am struggling with in all my tanks ever since our source water dropped KH.

Pinky is lucky you are the family who brought him home, few other aquarists would have been as willing to learn new information and then make changes accordingly.

Luna is adorable!!!

On 7/8/2022 at 1:17 PM, Torrey said:

I have not experienced any problems with plants and low dose aquarium salt (1 TBS/ 5 gallons)... except with red plants, which I am struggling with in all my tanks ever since our source water dropped KH.

Pinky is lucky you are the family who brought him home, few other aquarists would have been as willing to learn new information and then make changes accordingly.

Luna is adorable!!!

That’s great to know about the salt 🙌🏻 I don’t have any red plants in that tank so maybe we will be good! 
So appreciate your kindness about Pinky. 🙂 All we can do is keep learning! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I have read all 4 pages of this thread and it has just touched my heart ❤️ 

you did an amazing job nursing him and it’s hard in Tn with our water we’re in the Smokey mountains and water here is hard and when you mentioned Sephis it made me think of what’s going on with our water system now since the flood we went on a boil water advisory so we quit using the tap water here in TN I also know that that type water here in Tn plus high ph is likely to give them a skin burn we keep ours at a neutral 7 but that all depends on what else you have too in your tank. The salt and tannins are all great great ideas they make frtiz Indian almond leaf extract as well but we use it and the leafs with our betta! It greatly helped a torn fin he had ripped off getting caught in the intake before we got a sock on there now it’s half way too the length it should be to match his other long fin arm! We’ve been too worried about putting salt in with our snails and our plants so we like to get a little quarantine tank and put him in there if he needs salt and they have beneficial betta balls you can buy that are soft and the can forage through I think it’s called? Correct me if I’m wrong! But then he can have a little play time as well! 

RIP Pinky

Congratulations Luna on your new home I know you will be taking care of!!! 
you did a great job 

• Love 1

On 7/18/2022 at 5:27 PM, Betta said:

Hello I have read all 4 pages of this thread and it has just touched my heart ❤️ 

you did an amazing job nursing him and it’s hard in Tn with our water we’re in the Smokey mountains and water here is hard and when you mentioned Sephis it made me think of what’s going on with our water system now since the flood we went on a boil water advisory so we quit using the tap water here in TN I also know that that type water here in Tn plus high ph is likely to give them a skin burn we keep ours at a neutral 7 but that all depends on what else you have too in your tank. The salt and tannins are all great great ideas they make frtiz Indian almond leaf extract as well but we use it and the leafs with our betta! It greatly helped a torn fin he had ripped off getting caught in the intake before we got a sock on there now it’s half way too the length it should be to match his other long fin arm! We’ve been too worried about putting salt in with our snails and our plants so we like to get a little quarantine tank and put him in there if he needs salt and they have beneficial betta balls you can buy that are soft and the can forage through I think it’s called? Correct me if I’m wrong! But then he can have a little play time as well! 

RIP Pinky

Congratulations Luna on your new home I know you will be taking care of!!! 
you did a great job 

Here's an easy way to make a quarantine tank!  

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea