Food for Microdevario Kubotai

Lauren A

Hi!

I recently bought 10 Microdevario Kubotai (Green Neon Rasbora).  They love frozen daphnia and frozen brine shrimp, but don’t seem to interested in the flake food I bought.  Those are by Omega One and Fluval.  It may be due to the flake size unless they just don’t like them.

Does anyone have any recommendations on some creative food recommendations?  I’m open to brands of flakes you may have success with?  The tank is heavily planted and I’ve read they’ll feed on microfauna and eggs they may lay, but just to keep them interested with a varied diet and foods without an abundance of fillers.

Thanks for you help!  Lauren

Edit:  i should also note this is my first experience with micro fish.  I’ve only ever owned bettas - and bettas that will eat anything that comes their way.  

Edited by Lauren A

On 6/19/2022 at 2:23 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

I’ve had success with the tiniest of pellets for some picky eaters, perhaps Dr. Bassleers is worth a look, you can also never go wrong with live baby brine in my experience, everything seems to eat it lol

Awesome!  Thank you.  I’m actually going to start culturing grindal worms.  It’s very difficult/impossible for me to find live food locally so I’ve been stuck with pellets and frozen.  I will check out Dr. Basslets.  I’ve never heard of them before, so thank you very much!!

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 2:46 PM, Colu said:

Hikari micro pellets tetra micro crisp are good for smaller fish and live micro worms baby brine shrimp vinegar eels 

On 6/19/2022 at 2:37 PM, Griznatch said:

They have small mouths, so I crush the flakes a bit when I feed that kind of food.

Thanks to both of you!  I will buy some of those pellets and crisps.  Im so glad I asked.  I have never heard of vinegar eels.  I’ll have to look those up.  A friend of mine just wrote to me to try grinding the flakes in a pepper mill.  @Griznatchis this how you crush them?  Thx again!  

On 6/19/2022 at 2:46 PM, Colu said:

Hikari micro pellets tetra micro crisp are good for smaller fish and live micro worms baby brine shrimp vinegar eels 

On 6/19/2022 at 2:37 PM, Griznatch said:

They have small mouths, so I crush the flakes a bit when I feed that kind of food.

Thanks to both of you!  I will buy some of those pellets and crisps.  Im so glad I asked.  I have never heard of vinegar eels.  I’ll have to look those up.  A friend of mine just wrote to me to try grinding the flakes in a pepper mill.  @Griznatchis this how you crush them?  Thx again!  

On 6/19/2022 at 2:55 PM, Patrick_G said:

If you're up for the next level I'd try the live baby brine. The Co-op now sells a small bottle of eggs. It's fun and the fish love it. 

@Patrick_GOh nice, I’m going to check those eggs out.  I’m always up for new things and I’ve looked everywhere locally for live food with no success.  This is a silly question, but do they have a strong odor to culture?  I only ask so I can plan ahead.  Thx!

btw, your tank pictured is so pretty 😍 

I just rub a pinch of flakes in my fingers as I sprinkle it in the tank. That allows me to create bits of different sizes as I have other fish in there that aren't really interested in the really small stuff so it works out. I also use coops easy fry, my chili rasboras in the 20 gallon love it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Micro worms, vinegar eels, both super easy to culture the Co-op has videos on both and as everyone said for the time being crushing flakes to almost powder isn’t a bad practice to get into the habit of as well, I use a pepper grinder, or u can use a mortar and pestle, or sometimes just your fingers, co-op sells “easy fry food” that’s good for small mouthed fish and fry, but personally baby brine for the win which they sell everything u need to do them for a long long time, also super easy… hope some of this helps 

• Thanks 1

Yo can also use repashy just out of the jar and not make the gel. I use it for fry sometimes. I used a wooden coffe strirer t from the coffe shop and just put a dab in. There are  decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. They are different than the ones that hatch. You have hors options thanks days of the month. Find what works easiest for you. No need to make things harder. I think the flacks is probably easiest but I feed a few foods so mix and match until you are happy. As long as the fish eat you are doing your job

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Brandon p @Griznatch @CJs Aquatics

Thank you all so much.  I ordered San Francisco Bay powdered cyclops and Hikari Micropellets.  I’ve also decided to culture baby brine and the grindal worms.  Tomorrow I will grind up those flakes and give them another shot.  I feel like this is a great start and I’m so happy I reached out.  I will check out the vinegar eels, repashy and eggs along with the tutorials by AC too.

I hope you all have a great night!  Thank you again and take care!  Lauren 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/19/2022 at 12:04 PM, Lauren A said:

@Patrick_GOh nice, I’m going to check those eggs out.  I’m always up for new things and I’ve looked everywhere locally for live food with no success.  This is a silly question, but do they have a strong odor to culture?  I only ask so I can plan ahead.  Thx!

I don’t think they have a strong odor unless you don’t clean the container between hatchings, then it can get pretty rank! I know from experience. 😆

On 6/19/2022 at 7:48 PM, Patrick_G said:

I don’t think they have a strong odor unless you don’t clean the container between hatchings, then it can get pretty rank! I know from experience. 😆

I would not put them in your kitchen. A utility room/ wash room works I do it in the fish room. It’s not super strong but the kitchen is a no- no in my opinion. 

On 6/19/2022 at 1:04 PM, Lauren A said:

I think you might like this method for easy to keep going fry food:

You could try Golden Pearls. They are most used in saltwater but work great in freshwater as well. They come in a variety of small sizes and are small enough the stay in the water column a lot longer than something like Hikari micro pellets and do not make as much of a mess as easy fry food. Great for the days when you aren’t up to dealing with making/getting live food?