Plant ID please

On 6/18/2022 at 2:04 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I got a bonus plant with my shipment. These were found within a root system of a micro sword. ID please? Thanks!

AC124C08-190F-4C2F-B800-337048A504A3.jpeg

2F2B1514-99EB-46BF-933B-C2D5CA23E4E6.jpeg

A6AC6629-58B6-48BD-BE67-BDDB19569394.jpeg

Congratulations, looks like you got some nerm glitter! Some people hate it, others love it. Will reproduce at the rate of doubling mass each day, as long as their isn't major water agitation. Drops the nitrates in my turtle pond in 24 hours (if I put enough in). It's very protein dense (in some areas of the world it's used as a protein/meat substitute). Can be cooked in stirfry, or dried to a powder and added to Repashy for fish and snails. Please don't allow any down the drain, or in your trash without destroying it first. Makes a great chicken feed, and does wonders for compost.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Hi I can’t really see detail and photos are size deceptive. It is a floater but I can’t tell which one. 
The itty bitty one in my tank is duckweed (aka Nerm Glitter 🥰) the flat shiny one is frog bit. The one with the textured leaves is Salvinia minima.(aka polite duckweed thank you @Odd Duck) Hope that helps. 
I agree with @Torrey if it’s duckweed grow it in a container on your windowsill it it wonderful in salads. image.jpg.459cee5fa864bf405202c2170f26f4b0.jpg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 6/20/2022 at 7:23 AM, Griznatch said:

LOL, yeah.. love it or hate it, once it's loose it's almost impossible to get rid of 🙂

Long before I found the forum, my response to a fellow aquarist who asked how to eliminate duckweed from their tanks (they had the tiny stuff that not even good surface agitation will eliminate) was to go ask one of our local drag queens how to clean up all the glitter. It had been 2 years since the theater that occasionally hires me for lighting design had done a TGLA Drag Review as a fundraiser for their school club, and we still hadn't gotten all of the glitter cleaned up, lol. Once it's there, it's there to stay.🌈🌟

• Haha 2

@Brandon p gross 😝

Have you heard of ring around the rosie, pocket full of posies. Back in the days of bubonic plague, people would keep posies in their pockets and when they had to walk through areas with high odor they would take the posies out and hold them to their nose. Seems like you may benefit from something like that in your city of floaters 🤣

Now, it seems there was some debate as to whether the plants ID’d as duckweed or salvia minima so here are some other photos.

B720E615-94A5-4BF0-8653-2B4A34139856.jpeg

53721473-337F-413B-82D1-54F6B617E0B3.jpeg

• Like 1

I have salvinia growing in my 3 gallon tank, and from my experience, it is a medium speed grower and wants plenty of nutrients and light, and no water agitation.

The only way that I have found to kill it is when a snail jams your filter pump and the overhead sump that the salvinia is in drys up 😂  

On 6/21/2022 at 8:52 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I stumbled upon a video on YouTube. It just popped up as recommended- not sure why? 🤣 jk    🐌 How to make Duckweed Snello

You think I can feed polite duckweed to them? Man, these snails are so spoiled.

Polite duckweed does not pack the punch nutritionally the way duckweed does. There are a few studies done to if it was a beneficial thing to add to supplemental feed for food animals. Most of what I read determined it’s a better filler than ordinary filler but does not up the game significantly nutritionally. That being said I have tried to grow duckweed and frogbit several times including again now. My snails eat both faster than it grows because neither really grows fast for me. My current duckweed, frogbit, and salvinia minima project again FB and DW are getting decimated but not the salvinia. I’m not sure if they don’t like the taste or are just brats and want only the super tasty treats. 🤷‍♀️

Or perhaps SM actually grows fast enough for me 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 8:23 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@Brandon p gross 😝

Have you heard of ring around the rosie, pocket full of posies. Back in the days of bubonic plague, people would keep posies in their pockets and when they had to walk through areas with high odor they would take the posies out and hold them to their nose. Seems like you may benefit from something like that in your city of floaters 🤣

Now, it seems there was some debate as to whether the plants ID’d as duckweed or salvia minima so here are some other photos.

B720E615-94A5-4BF0-8653-2B4A34139856.jpeg

53721473-337F-413B-82D1-54F6B617E0B3.jpeg

I sorry I hope it did not upset you. If it does I will remove the post. There are over 400 miles of canal in my city more that any other city in the world. It is 🤢