Success rate with cold weather plant and fish shipments

Lynn

Was planning on setting up my 75 gal tank as a planted tank this fall.   Weather is starting to change fast.    What is the success rate of receiving live and healthy shipments of plants and fish in cold weather.  (Set up first planted tank this summer.)  Currently all shipments I receive, even overnight shipments are taking at least one day longer.    I am wondering if I should just wait until spring to set up tank due the the weather, do not want to kill plants or fish.

I'm not sure where you would order them, if you have doubt wether it is safe to ship certain types of plants I'm sure you can email the store and ask for their recommendation.

Alternative suggestion; Maybe you can check local facebook groups or ask around and see if anyone has some clippings to spare?

I'm not sure how shipping at the coop goes, so I cannot comment on that.

• Administrators

If the seller is good, they can ship year round. Colder is easier than hotter months.  Look out for vendors that make you pay for heat packs and such. We include them for free, and liners for free when our custom algorithm we developed that checks your weather and ours and calculates what will be needed calls for it. Importing plants, plants are routinely in the box for 5-7 days to clear customs etc, no problem. Fish typically are 2-3 days in bags. These are at high levels so less dense packing should last longer. Heat packs are up to 96 hours, which is 4 days if they are using the right ones for the fish/estimated delivery time.