How do you feed CPDs?

Pizzafan

I landed on stocking my new 5g with a small group of CPDs, but I don’t think I was prepared for how timid they are. I have tried to feed them crushed flakes as well as nano pellets. For the most part these things slowly sink and get completely missed by them.

any tips from those of you who keep them?

I feed mine live baby brine and frozen when I first got them. Hikari first bites and northfin  fry tend to sink slower. They will pick frozen brine and fry foods off decor and substrate as well as actively hunt microfauna.  If they are shy it will happen when you are not looking. These guys are micro predators and as long as tiny food is in the tank they will eat. I find most pellets to learge even for my full grown adults. The flake that is not crushed super tiny to fit in their mouth they ignore.

Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

I get it. Mine are pretty shy too- they like to hang out in all the lovely areas I made for them that are covered with plants and wood. If I sit in front of my tank long enough they come out. 

I feed them JUST like @Guppysnail (literally have all of those foods) but I can also add- they'll eat crushed flake (I feed Xtreme Krill and Fluval Bug Bites) and more recently Aquarium Co-ops Small fish/fry food. 

• Like 3

I feed mine frozen baby brine, frozen cyclops (only once or twice a week), X-treme community flakes and pellets that I crush in a pepper grinder, I've had mine for about a year and are pretty brave now, when I first got them, they were pretty shy, but after a couple of months they figured out they were safe...

• 3 weeks later...

I use live and frozen baby brine and xtreme nano pellets. If I crush the krill flake small enough they will take that as well. It took them a solid month to become comfortable enough to swim out and about but they certainly don’t school. Mine hand back around the safety of plants (so they can dart in a moment’s notice). They’ve grown out quite nicely on the BBS