How hot outside is to hot for outdoor tubs

• Administrators

It depends on the tub size (water volume), whether they are above or below ground, and if they will be in the sun all day, or if they will be partially shaded. Mid 90s would be fine. If consistently in the 100s, maybe pick a shaded spot that gets a breeze. If you drop it in the ground, even better. Also consider nighttime temps. If your nighttime temps drop to 60-70, the tubs will probably hover between the two temps (again dependent on volume...the larger the more stability with temps). 

• 4 weeks later...

Water volume, water movement, and shade are all key factors.  I have 4, 300 gallon Rubbermaid "tubs" and they all do well.  It was 95 day and 85 nights here for 2 weeks and they did fine.  They have shade part of the day and I run the pumps on the sponge filters wide open when it get's hot out.  They look like a witches cauldron with the pumps at max but the fish are doing great.  (Guppys) 

• Like 1

Putting a piece of glass (like an old window) or a piece of greenhouse paneling over top of the tub will help trap heat. Positioning the tub so it gets lots of sun and is protected from the wind will also help. I have a tub outside on my back steps, right against the house in a corner with walls facing south and east. I was able to run an air pump from inside the house, so there was warm air flowing into the tub all winter. Even with the protection of the walls, the glass, and the warm pump, it still froze over a few times, but I had ricefish out there and three of them survived! 😄 If the ice got too thick, I’d boil some water and pour it over the ice slowly to melt it.

• Like 1