Black neon swollen

Chick-In-Of-TheSea

For years I’ve had this fish and over time the fish has become more swollen in the belly. It has been the only black neon in the tank and schools with pristella tetra. I thought maybe it mated with one of them, but now I’m not so sure because the swelling has not gone down.

The fish stays at mid level, looks right at me and “treads water” by flapping its side fins. It also opens & closes it’s mouth while doing this (like it’s saying blub blub blub). It does not look like gasping or struggling for air.  More like it’s chatting.  It has begun to act territorial and chases away other fish that approach it. Then it schools as normal without the mouth movements.

It alternates between treading water, chasing, and schooling. 

Illness? or behavior?

98F989D6-DE14-4076-856E-97593DC6B2D2.jpeg

8BF74CB6-CD88-478A-801B-C06CF021EAE5.jpeg

24116233-339E-4FC8-9135-FAA687838777.jpeg

Other black neons in the photo were just added yesterday, but the swelling and behavior are ongoing.

Ph 7.5

temp 81

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 10

80/180 for gh and kh- I’m not sure I listed those two in the right order, I don’t have the test kit in front of me

The fish doesn’t look distressed to me.  As long as that status continues, and she keeps eating well, I would wait and see what happens with the addition of the conspecifics yesterday.  If she slows down on eating or starts to look distressed at all, that’s a different matter.

If this is organ dysfunction, unfortunately there isn’t a lot we can do for a specific, very small fish.  If they get acute ascites (start pineconing) then Epsom soaks can help on rare occasion.  It is very uncommon for Epsom soaks to help ascites but it’s worth trying.  If it’s egg-binding, it would be very unusual to last this long, but conspecifics are the best bet for treatment since they would be the most likely to trigger spawning.

For now, a wait and see approach is likely safest.  Keep the water pristine and do cool water changes to try to trigger spawning just in case those are eggs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Odd Duck thanks for responding so quickly. Her territorialism does make a lot of sense if she is holding eggs. Let’s see if she can find some romance.

Actually whenever I feed brine shrimp everybody likes to get busy. I should try that now that she has a school again.

I should also note that it wasn’t my intention for her to be alone for a few months but there had been an ick situation that wiped out her school.

Hiya @Chick-In-Of-TheSea, I've got a similar issue (but IMO worse than yours) with 1 of my Black Neons. I tried treating for various things but it seems to me after treating and no change (in fact seemed to stress her more keeping her separated from her tank) I decided she probably has some sort of tumor or organ failure, who knows- it's not treatable. So put her back and she's been fine, eats (unlike when she was in QT) and hangs with the others/swims normally just like her other tankmates- just looks funky. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
Typos are lame

On 6/9/2022 at 1:51 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Hiya @Chick-In-Of-TheSea, I've got a similar issue (but IMO worse than yours) with 1 of my Black Neons. I tried treating for various things but it seems to me after treating and no change (in fact seemed to stress her more keeping her separated from her tank) I decided she probably has some sort of tumor or organ failure, who knows- it's not treatable. So put her back and she's been fine, eats (unlike when she was in QT) and hangs with the others/swims normally just like her other tankmates- just looks funky. 

Your fishy has far more distention than expected from being “eggy” and that makes a tumor or organ failure much more likely.  @Chick-In-Of-TheSea’s fishy still looks within normal range for an egg loaded female. It’s too soon to say, but there’s at least a chance that this fish may recover. We will have to see what happens. 

Edited by Odd Duck
Fix alert.
  • Like 1

@xXInkedPhoenixX @Odd DuckI think less bloating today? What do you guys think? I didn’t actually see her drop any eggs but doesn’t mean she didn’t. Yesterday we had a hearty meal of frozen brine shrimp and she found a male to mate with today, frolicking with him in the bubbles. 💞

3F56268F-63ED-4872-9E58-971309406427.jpeg

842B4B29-077A-48D2-B2A5-DD0412D4F8B9.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
Tags