DIY undergravel filter build

clovenpine

I decided to play around with undergravel filtration, and why buy one when I can spend more money and several hours making my own? 😂 This was a pretty simple build and worked as planned, so I'm pleased. It's cheaper, quieter, and cooler to run than a powered filter, and I think it will be a fun experiment.  My theory is that undergravel filtration will draw nutrients to the roots of plants for better growth. 

Currently both uplift tubes are powered by air, but I'm going to try running one of them on a small power head to increase flow. Also planning to replace the uplift tubes with either black PVC or clear acrylic (neither was available at the hardware store). Also probably going to add more holes of various sizes to the pipe grid to avoid clogging.

IMG_20220606_133612.jpg

IMG_20220606_133716.jpg

IMG_20220606_181821.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

That will work. Years ago there was a company that sold a similar system with much smaller tubing. O had one of these and gave up on it because it would get clogged pretty fast. Using larget tubing should help.

There are a couple of books titled "For What Its Worth" that have some info about building this type of filter. There are two volumes.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 9:59 AM, clovenpine said:

draw nutrients to the roots

It also draws oxygen to the roots. Just like aerating your lawn. I put in UGFs with just a small layer of gravel. My root systems became extensive quick because I can see underneath my tanks. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 6:59 AM, clovenpine said:

Currently both uplift tubes are powered by air, but I'm going to try running one of them on a small power head to increase flow. Also planning to replace the uplift tubes with either black PVC or clear acrylic (neither was available at the hardware store). Also probably going to add more holes of various sizes to the pipe grid to avoid clogging.

I'd grab some quilting mesh and zip tie it over the top surface. Then you have what amounts to an UGF in form and function.

For the uplift tube you could replace the corner elbows with:

image.jpeg.acecead3618d6295893a3cd5c120e839.jpeg

If you want to find some clear pipes, be sure to look up PC (computer) water cooling parts. They do sell acrylic, they sell glass, they sell a lot of different sizes as well.  "Rigid Tubing" water cooling parts.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 7:59 AM, clovenpine said:

I decided to play around with undergravel filtration, and why buy one when I can spend more money and several hours making my own? 😂 This was a pretty simple build and worked as planned, so I'm pleased. It's cheaper, quieter, and cooler to run than a powered filter, and I think it will be a fun experiment.  My theory is that undergravel filtration will draw nutrients to the roots of plants for better growth. 

IMG_20220606_133612.jpg

IMG_20220606_133716.jpg

IMG_20220606_181821.jpg

I can offer one suggestion that you may, or may not, find you like better. I have built this before, and for me it worked infinitely much better and decreased maintenance, when I added a plastic canvas mesh on top. I drilled the holes in the PVC with an1/8th inch drill bit, and yes the power heads were more effective.

I had the heater mats back then, and the PVC would pull the water down through the gravel to the UGF, where it would get heated and sent out the uplift tubes. You can use pond sealant to make the PVC lift tubes look like sticks/wood under water, and in larger tanks, build a rock wall between them... or use some more canvas mesh and create a moss wall to cover the tubes.

@clovenpine  I made something very very very similar to your build and it works fantastic. The water in the tank it's in in my house has the most crystal clear water of any tank in the house!  I'll see if I can find my thread I posted here about it.

Edit: Found it!   ---> 

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Love 1