Will mollies eat planaria?

PineSong

As mentioned in my other thread, I have planaria in at least one of my tanks, discovered this AM. 

The tank has male guppies, one pair of swordtails and their fry, and green neon tetras, and is understocked.

I'm wondering if I could pop my male mollies in there and let them eat the planaria? Has anyone had any luck with just letting fish eat the flat little rascals?

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 4:57 PM, PineSong said:

As mentioned in my other thread, I have planaria in at least one of my tanks, discovered this AM. 

The tank has male guppies, one pair of swordtails and their fry, and green neon tetras, and is understocked.

I'm wondering if I could pop my male mollies in there and let them eat the planaria? Has anyone had any luck with just letting fish eat the flat little rascals?

I don't have any surviving planaria (that I have been able to find) anywhere I have matriarch endlers. Typically have one matriarch per tank/ then 6 "aunties" who appear to have the job of disciplining the masses. I haven't found the males to be particularly effective hunters as they spend the majority of their days practicing jazz hands and gonopodium dancing.

It's been too long since I kept mollies, I don't remember how efffective they were at hunting.

• Haha 2

On 6/8/2022 at 3:27 AM, Torrey said:

practicing jazz hands and gonopodium dancing.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

@PineSong(fixed tag 🤣) my boy guppies are ridiculously poor hunters.  In the boy tank even when I put in live baby brine shrimp they skim around the surface with their mouth open for a moment before thy realize they must catch their own food that day.  I just tried micro worm and they never found them. The boys endlessly surfaced skimmed until I gave in and fed some flake.  They also do not pick at veggies or wafers unless it’s the only thing I feed that day.

as @Torrey said mine are to busy showing off and trying to be boss.  Jazz hands oh my 🤣

Edited by Guppysnail
Fix tag
  • Like 1

I'm with @Torreyand suspect that of my three mollies the big female would be the one to get the job done. But due to male guppies being in the tank, I would not subject her or a female guppy/endler to the haassment those guys would dish out. The whole reason I have that tank is because those guppies were abusing my MALE mollies in the kitchen tank.

There are not that many guppies/endlers in there, so if decreasing the food and a planaria trap does not work I will just do the work of swapping the boy guppies for some female guppies and my big molly girl, and see if that takes care of it. As they say, if you want something done, ask a busy woman to do it....

• Like 2

On 6/8/2022 at 3:58 AM, PineSong said:

@Torrey, jazz hands! Gonopodium dancing! Perfect description!

My upstairs neighbor discovered I had a patio pond and came down to visit/watch fish over the fencing. We were discussing male endler antics, and realized they are a lot like male anatomy 2 year olds who have just discovered the ability to have fully autonomous motion, and feel the need to share with the entire world. Endlers are very, very entertaining, and seem best behaved in very large groups. The boys don't seem to care as much as the ladies on whether the tank is mixed genders, lol

They will literally dance for *anyone* and have phenomenal muscle isolation skills.😲😉🤣

• Haha 1