Quarantine Question

So I have my tank set up and I followed the recommendation that were shared on the sight. I'm on day 3 of the quarantine and now one of my guppies appear to be getting white spots on his fins. Should I add medication or wait until Sunday which will a full week. Also I have a fish with a weird looking fin and not sure what it is (sharing a picture)...please help.

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 4.20.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 4.20.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 4.20.43 PM.png

On 6/1/2022 at 1:21 PM, tayedafishhobbist said:

Should I add medication or wait until Sunday which will a full week. Also I have a fish with a weird looking fin and not sure what it is (sharing a picture)...please help.

I see the "weird fin" but I'm not really sure what I'm looking at.  If you can provide a top view as well as a side view? 

If you have the fish with spots as well we can all take a look and see what it looks like. 

I am trying to understand the full question, basically for the "med trio" the treatment is different than if you're treating with meds.  (essentially, meds in the water for 7 days, then monitor).  I do not know the "best course of action" but my assumption is to review whatever the med directions are on the box, and to specifically follow those.  The fish may need a break to recover or something like a specific temperature if you're treating a specific disease like ich.

Once you added meds, have you added any salt or have you done any water changes?

@xXInkedPhoenixX  You were talking about your QT procedure in the other thread, how would you handle it?

@nabokovfan87- hmm unclear at this time. I think I need clarification. 

@tayedafishhobbist to clarify- when you say day 3- do you mean you're doing the med trio? If yes- IchX is part of the trio- that cures Ich- I would wait unless it gets worse. BUT I would like to see a picture of these spots if you could please- to better help. If the pics above are mr. funky fin- a couple different angle pics would help- and honestly if it just looks deformed and not an injury- I'd do nothing there- but again if you're treating with the trio- all bases should be covered. 

Actually I stand corrected- if we can see another pic and confirm it could be Ich this is what they recommend:

... you start the quarantine medication treatment, a few days later you may see obvious signs of an outbreak like ich (or white spot disease). Change 30% of the water, and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the medication you need to use (e.g., Ich-X in this case). Once the ich is beaten, wait a couple of weeks with no medication to give the fish a break, and then follow up by treating with the other two quarantine medications (e.g., Maracyn and ParaCleanse) for 1 week as originally suggested.

I got it from https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/how-to-treat-sick-aquarium-fish

I don't use the Med Trio so sometimes I have to refresh my memory! I got too much upstairs! 😄🙃

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 6:37 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Actually I stand corrected- if we can see another pic and confirm it could be Ich this is what they recommend:

... you start the quarantine medication treatment, a few days later you may see obvious signs of an outbreak like ich (or white spot disease). Change 30% of the water, and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the medication you need to use (e.g., Ich-X in this case). Once the ich is beaten, wait a couple of weeks with no medication to give the fish a break, and then follow up by treating with the other two quarantine medications (e.g., Maracyn and ParaCleanse) for 1 week as originally suggested.

I got it from https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/how-to-treat-sick-aquarium-fish

I don't use the Med Trio so sometimes I have to refresh my memory! I got too much upstairs! 😄🙃

So I should have let the fish sit in the tank for a few days before starting the quarantine medication treatment?

So also for clarification, I should start the process over but only treat for ich then wait?

So here is another shot of Ms. Funky Fin - When I first got her and put her in the think this was not here. It look like a regular fin that would moving properly. I think she may have got into it with another fish.

CAAF40B0-53DF-46D3-AA7B-B03D4CDDFBEB.jpeg.ece0106d84428b4a36eafb706bffa03e.jpeg

Here is the fish that I believe has ich.658EFC64-14A2-4862-973F-BA8540E0D588.jpeg.1ee12a8cd34bcecd7f37e06eaa6247e2.jpeg

BAF7AF03-EAD0-413D-9B93-916711C4C4D4.jpeg

Edited by tayedafishhobbist

On 6/1/2022 at 7:36 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yeah, definitely ich! 😕 It's going to require some temp to get the Ich to progress in lifecycle and then hatch out in the substrate/be killed by the meds.

Definitely just rewatched this video.

Glad that I don't have any substrate in the quarantine tank and hopefully I can get the ich cleared up in the next few days.

On 6/1/2022 at 7:13 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Thank you!

That's definitely Ich- follow the instructions I posted above- 30% water change and follow the manufacture instructions for ICH X only for now. 

I can't really tell what your fin guy is all about- still leaning more towards deformity @Guppysnail? @Guppyguy? Any of our guppy people see the fin issue before?

Thank you for pointing that out! I there is a wound near the tail of the guppy, still thinking its because of a fight lol

• Like 1

Ah, sometimes it's hard to tell with pictures. Wounds on tails and fins aren't uncommon- especially in guppies who constantly chase each other- I'd just keep an eye on it, keep the water clean while you're treating the tank for Ich. Watch for things like further fin damage or fuzzy looking wounds- that's when you might have to treat them for something. 

...a lot of the time that kind of thing can clear up on its own- if that's what it is! 🙂 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX