Help. I’m doing the water change on the shrimp tank. I took some of the mulm and put it in a white dish. I don’t know what I’m looking for in the ways of shimplets, but in this dish there is one “dot” that is very energetically swimming all over the dish. Uh- is that a shrimplet? Should it be obvious? 

I don’t know what I’m doing lol

Also how would I pick it up? With a plastic spoon or the baster? I don’t want to pick up a bunch of mulm though either. Not sure the best approach.

@TeeJay @Guppysnail

• Like 1

I use 3d shrimp nets. I wait until the shrimplettes are on the side. Very hard to catch with a spoon even harder with a baster. They are usually clear when that small. Throw some floating plants and wait a week until they molt a few times and they are easier to distinguish. I don’t keep the tanks above 74-75 so easy to just catch and toss back in the tank then. Tiny round dots that sort of vibrate and dart are seed shrimp. Awesome fishy food. The tiny shrimplettes swim. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 9:32 AM, Guppysnail said:

I use 3d shrimp nets. I wait until the shrimplettes are on the side. Very hard to catch with a spoon even harder with a baster. They are usually clear when that small. Throw some floating plants and wait a week until they molt a few times and they are easier to distinguish. I don’t keep the tanks above 74-75 so easy to just catch and toss back in the tank then. Tiny round dots that sort of vibrate and dart are seed shrimp. Awesome fishy food. The tiny shrimplettes swim. 

The dots are either darting or swimming all over the cup. I don’t know if it is a seed shrimp or a shrimp. Using the baster for now. It’s awful. Lol

Because water wants to drip back out so I’m putting my finger on the end then watching the baster to make sure I caught the little one for sure. Two of the dots things have been returned to the tank so far.

• Like 1

To say I’m exasperated is an understatement.  Nearing the point of tears, I just returned all the waste to the tank. I was inspecting every baster full in the dish and all contained shrimplets (swimmers) and/or seed shrimp (darters). I’ve been at this for 2 hours trying to return each baby to the tank. I cannot decipher or handle easily what is detritus and what is life. I had no idea shrimpkeeping would be many, many hours per week in maintenance. I hadn’t picked up on that when following the shrimp keepers in the forum. 

The tank desperately needs a vac but I guess that’s out of the question or I will be faced with the same predicament again. I’m guessing I’m just meant to change water only, from near the top of the tank. I feel horrible that I almost killed/dumped out their babies.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Sad 1

On 11/12/2022 at 10:48 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

To say I’m exasperated is an understatement.  Nearing the point of tears, I just returned all the waste to the tank. I was inspecting every baster full in the dish and all contained shrimplets (swimmers) and/or seed shrimp (darters). I’ve been at this for 2 hours trying to return each baby to the tank. I cannot decipher or handle easily what is detritus and what is life. I had no idea shrimpkeeping would be many, many hours per week in maintenance. I hadn’t picked up on that when following the shrimp keepers in the forum. 

The tank desperately needs a vac but I guess that’s out of the question or I will be faced with the same predicament again. I’m guessing I’m just meant to change water only, from near the top of the tank. I feel horrible that I almost killed/dumped out their babies.

Is there tank a shrimp only tank? Because I have had mine set up with shrimp in it for a solid 4 months and I have yet to really do a water change. I don't touch the mulm.all the mulm that was in there from when I first squeezed out my sponge filters is still in there. So unless you have fish in there that will throw your nitrites and ammonia up you u really don't have anything to worry about. My tank stays at 0 ammonia and nitrites and at most 10 nitrates. Yes the mulm may not be pretty but isnt posing an issue

On 11/12/2022 at 10:58 AM, TeeJay said:

Is there tank a shrimp only tank? Because I have had mine set up with shrimp in it for a solid 4 months and I have yet to really do a water change. I don't touch the mulm.all the mulm that was in there from when I first squeezed out my sponge filters is still in there. So unless you have fish in there that will throw your nitrites and ammonia up you u really don't have anything to worry about. My tank stays at 0 ammonia and nitrites and at most 10 nitrates. Yes the mulm may not be pretty but isnt posing an issue

Just a few snails. I have sand so the mulm is very obvious and unsightly. The coarse sponge filtration does not seem to be doing anything to help.

On 11/12/2022 at 12:10 PM, Guppysnail said:

Here you go. These have 1-2 molts in already. 

0411B34C-F9AD-450B-A6F4-BAA1ECBEDCF4.jpeg

911FC180-7F7A-4FE6-A33B-D155153BBB60.jpeg

E563B9C3-DC4C-4871-AAA2-18DE0C66A1B7.jpeg

What is in the video looks like a shrimp, has 2 eyes, a long body. What I was seeing was specs, literally size of a sand grain swimming all over the container. Like if you look at a fishnet, the spaces in the net. That was the size of the things. Needed magnifying glass. Pure madness.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2

On 11/12/2022 at 12:53 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Oh ok, it must be seed shrimp. It definitely is not the new hatchling like this photo. So.. don’t worry about seed shrimp then? What is a seed shrimp exactly?  I mean, they must be coming from the eggs? 

Baby seed shrimp are almost microscopic. Tank cleaners 

19DEE843-715E-4CA9-99B7-492DA9A18FCD.png

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 1