Let's talk about Sodium Thiosulfate Pentahydrate

TUCCI

Sodium Thiosulfate Pentahydrate. Its a crystalline dechlorinator I used in the past successfully and wondered how well kept it is as I rarely hear it discussed in the aquarium community.  If you look it up and read about it, it's found in a crystalline form (powder also) and very effective with dechlorinating aquariums and other bodies of water. Some years ago someone (can't recall who) turned me onto an inexpensive and easy to dispense chemical (Sodium Thiosulfate Pentahydrate).....I'd like to open it up for dialog with my aquarist brethren......... 

• Like 1

I would toss a couple grains of it while filling my Brute container. Amazon sells it. Its on my purchase list for my next replenishment order. I was curious of its widespread usage among aquarist. It is ridiculously inexpensive and very effective. 

Yes, I forget all the details now I will look them up.   I think I purchased enough to mix in a gallon of RO/DI  and it treated some crazy amount.  And all that for like 6 or 7 dollars.   

One gallon can treat 37,850 gallons.  The cost is under $4.00

On 5/28/2022 at 8:14 PM, Brian said:

Yes, I forget all the details now I will look them up.   I think I purchased enough to mix in a gallon of RO/DI  and it treated some crazy amount.  And all that for like 6 or 7 dollars.   

I'm betting most aquarium use products have their origins in the commercial sector. If one takes the time to investigate the main ingredients, you can trace it back and save a ton of cheddar.

• Like 1

I use this regularly in phytoplankton culture. I use bleach to sterilize my saltwater then add a little thio to neutralize the bleach. 

I can use the water to make new cultures immediately after using a clorine test strip to confirm. But I use it to neutralize straight bleach and don't know how effective it is at neutralizing what your specific water company puts in your water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In crystal or powder form it should hold indefinitely if not exposed to moisture.  In liquid I’m not certain. It works for chlorine.  It is an inexpensive alternative. Many conditioners treat for other things in our tap water im not certain what those are or the chemicals that treat them are though. 

• Thanks 1

I use it now instead of that nasty smelling Prime. 

I bought it of Amazon in crystal form, 1 tiny crystal to 36 gallons. I overkill it with 3 crystals in my 20 gal can for water changes. 

You need to dissolve it for a few minutes first in a cup of warm water, sometimes it won't completely dissolve when I'm filling my can.

@HH Morant did a nice thread on it, that's where I got my info. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/29/2022 at 12:50 PM, TUCCI said:

Just as I thought then, its being used and not spoken of too often. Glad to hear it. Thanks for everyone's input....👍

You got it!

It's a great way to declore without getting ripped off by Seachem. 😁👍

On 5/28/2022 at 7:14 PM, Brian said:

Why would you treat RO/DI water with it??

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 3:56 PM, Wrencher_Scott said:

You got it!

It's a great way to declore without getting ripped off by Seachem. 😁👍

On 5/29/2022 at 4:06 PM, Brian said:

I wasn’t treating RO/DI water.    That is what I used.  I think I purchased a pound and put it in a gallon of RO/DI Water.   And that one gallon could treat 37,800 gallo a of regular tap water.   Sorry for any confusion.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 1:06 PM, Brian said:

I wasn’t treating RO/DI water.    That is what I used.  I think I purchased a pound and put it in a gallon of RO/DI Water.   And that one gallon could treat 37,800 gallo a of regular tap water.   Sorry for any confusion.

My bad, read it wrong.

• Like 1