Another ph question?

Waterlife

On 5/27/2022 at 8:35 PM, Waterlife said:

How do I maintain a ph of 7 or lower for Apistogrami’s when I have auto water changes keeping it around 7.5?

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Can you share your KH, GH, and PH of your water?
1. Take a sample of water from the tap, test it.
2. Take the same sample of water, aerate it for 24 hours with an airstone, then re-test the sample.

Depending on what your KH/GH are is going to dictate a few things for adjusting your PH.

• Like 1

Is it important to keep it below or around 7.0?  What Apisto are you keeping?  Are they tank raised?  If so what  PH?  With most (Most) fish they want a constant water parameter.  I have seen a lot of people kill fish because they tried to chase a parameter and the water was always different.  If the extreme’s didn’t kill them the stress from changing water conditions did.   
So are these wild caught fish? Or maybe F1 or F2? Even by F2 (second generation tank raised) could be on slightly different water parameters.
Also, a lot of the time fish want a lower PH or Hardness for egg fertilization or hatching.  
Good Luck

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 8:35 PM, Waterlife said:

How do I maintain a ph of 7 or lower for Apistogrami’s when I have auto water changes keeping it around 7.5?

There is no need, 7.5 is great for most every fish. Trying to mess with pH is going to drive you crazy for no reason.

The only time you need to worry is when breeding some types. 

I have read that pH changes in rivers and lakes all day depending and sunlight and algae, it's natural for fish to live in changing pH and temps too.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2022 at 10:36 AM, Waterlife said:

Thanks everyone here’s what I found out about the fish I’m getting.

they’re tank raised, 7.4ph 400 ppm tds. I just keep them in normal tap water.

Conditioned normal tap water, and your fish should be thrilled. Plus, less stress for you!

(I know you know about conditioning, since you have the autowater changer set up. For any newbies reading along, it's always good to clarify)

• Like 1