A Tale of Two Tanks

think my 15 gallon planted tank is cycled. My betta, Phinneas, has been hanging out in my 5 gallon quarantine tank for the last 4 weeks while I have been setting up his future home. I am wanting to move him to the larger tank this week but I don’t know how to accomplish that without causing him harm due to very different water parameters despite all of my water coming from the same source. The Fluval Stratum substrate and the plants have significantly altered the parameters of the larger tank. See the chart below for additional information.

Additionally, I noticed the water in the 5 gallon tank has been sitting at .5ppm ammonia every time I’ve tested it in the past week despite water changes. After a 50%ish water change last night to try to lower that number, then seeing the same number today I decided to test my tap water. Found the problem! My tap tests at .5ppm ammonia.

0F2D0828-AAA9-4140-A95A-9B977A70AA4E.jpeg.0b6e973f178a312a43e441c1b9330818.jpeg

As a result of these numbers, I’m looking for advice for two questions:

1. How do I safely transfer Phinneas to his new home?

2. How concerned should I be and how do I combat the ammonia that occurs in my tap water?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

• Administrators

0.5ppm ammonia shouldn't be much of a hassle unless you're doing like 75% water changes. Your live plants would just consume it, or bacteria. I think the larger thing to consider is, do you want to battle the lower pH because of the fluval stratum? Over time it'll hopefully leech less, but in the short term is drops pH as you're seeing.

On 5/22/2022 at 11:30 PM, Cory said:

I think the larger thing to consider is, do you want to battle the lower pH because of the fluval stratum? Over time it'll hopefully leech less, but in the short term is drops pH as you're seeing.

Fair point. I know pH is important but for some reason this evening I keep ignoring it. I almost left it out of my table.

Do I need to be concerned about the gradual rise in pH that’s destined to occur? My LFS has RO water available for purchase, should I try to mix it with tap to lower the pH for water changes?

The ultimate goal for the 15g is a community tank with my betta, rasboras and maybe some Pygmy cories or other compatible bottom feeder.

On 5/22/2022 at 11:36 PM, Ken Burke said:

Daily water changes?  If you do 25% wc a day in both tanks.  (No gravel vac). Take water from the new tank to refill older tank.  After a couple days it should be close enough to move him easily. 

Exactly what I was contemplating but wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing a simpler process. Thanks!

Edited by Crabby_Aquarist
Typo

Hi, regarding question 1, I've personally found that a glass cup or jar works really well for bettas. It leaves everyone (yes, me included) less stressed out compared to using a net ime. I'd want to second what the above post says, and also, that for the most part I've heard of fish being able to deal with a lack of acclimation, especially after shipping, so don't stress about it too much.

• Administrators

I don't think a gradual increase is your problem. I think it's going down further that would be your problem. Gotta keep an eye on it so it doesn't crash the pH.

On 5/22/2022 at 11:47 PM, Cory said:

I don't think a gradual increase is your problem. I think it's going down further that would be your problem. Gotta keep an eye on it so it doesn't crash the pH.

Interestingly it has risen over the last month. 3 weeks ago the pH was 6.6. Last week I was confident in my 6.8 reading and this evening I felt the color was borderline between the 6.8-7.0.

On 5/22/2022 at 8:44 PM, Crabby_Aquarist said:

Do I need to be concerned about the gradual rise in pH that’s destined to occur?

A gradual increase or decrease in pH is okay. What you want to avoid is big immediate changes in pH. You wouldn't want to take your fish from our 8.2 pH tank and throw him directly into your 6.8 pH tank for example. Or like Cory said, you don't want your pH decreasing to an extremely low level.

On 5/22/2022 at 10:14 PM, Crabby_Aquarist said:

How concerned should I be and how do I combat the ammonia that occurs in my tap water?

A fully cycled tank can handle this amount easily. Many tap has .5ppm also and when. I set up my 10g quarantine with a small sponge filter from my display a few nights ago it processed down to 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite  before I got up the next morning.