JAILBREAK!!! and other snaily stories.

Cinnebuns

I think mommy's trying to free her babies. She's watched them locked up for over a month and she's over it!!

20220512_003903.jpg.c92198e04e1b25a40a0da97a0629ade4.jpg

I will never get over how slowly Japanese trapdoor snails grow. They stay tiny FOREVER!!

20220502_224952.jpg.55b3c96bd50a78e2f497e7d604f98fb2.jpg

I really didn't plan this 3rd pic but I noticed it and now I have to. Male JTS giving the male mystery snail a taste of his own medicine. Snorgy!

20220506_193905.jpg.43ef46a51f1d88d3ab7a5dde72716d36.jpg

Anyone else have any snaily stories? Bonus points for pics. 

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

I moved two of my boy mystery snails out of the Magical Mystery tank into mom n dad plecos  tank with my big boy Chestnut.  The littlest one that is an adult now rode around from 9 am until 430 pm on Chestnuts back. No mating attempts just buddied up.  He even hung off the side of Chestnuts shell to eat from the food dish. I’m still not convinced Chestnut is a normal mystery snail.  I got him and was told he was from the same clutch as the other 10 but he is triple the size of any myster Snail I have ever owned. 
This is their first meeting just before Little Boy hitched a ride  363D9B21-937B-400B-82AD-D73643508918.jpeg.9b9954cd9b867b9d1f120e95daef5011.jpegCAC83623-7866-42ED-8C7D-E0FF24478329.jpeg.e7631a56483011c6b37baa1398e30429.jpeg77E9FB31-9676-4B15-B5D8-3C0E102629CD.jpeg.a4a742f1e57c81986e70e391c3df2bde.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Ok, I've got a good one that just happened: 

Me: I'd like to get some Nerite snails (3 I'd been watching move around for a bit)

Big Box Employee: Just so you know these reproduce really fast. 

Me: Nerite snails can't reproduce in freshwater. 

Big Box Employee: Oh I thought you meant these (points to a random Nerite sku). What snails are you looking at? These (points to Zebra Nerite sku) or these (points to Red Racer sku)?

Me: They're both Nerites and they don't reproduce in freshwater. 

Big Box Employee: So...which ones would you like? (gets bag ready)

Me: *Face to palm in my head....* and exiting quickly with my "reproductive" Nerites (talk about a jailbreak for them....)

Resized_20220512_103424.jpg

• Haha 4
  • Love 1

On 5/12/2022 at 12:41 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Ok, I've got a good one that just happened: 

Me: I'd like to get some Nerite snails (3 I'd been watching move around for a bit)

Big Box Employee: Just so you know these reproduce really fast. 

Me: Nerite snails can't reproduce in freshwater. 

Big Box Employee: Oh I thought you meant these (points to a random Nerite sku). What snails are you looking at? These (points to Zebra Nerite sku) or these (points to Red Racer sku)?

Me: They're both Nerites and they don't reproduce in freshwater. 

Big Box Employee: So...which ones would you like? (gets bag ready)

Me: *Face to palm in my head....* and exiting quickly with my "reproductive" Nerites (talk about a jailbreak for them....)

Resized_20220512_103424.jpg

Omg big box store employee stories could be it's own thread! Also, sorry to disappoint but that's now a red racer but a tiger. 

On 5/12/2022 at 5:43 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Cinnebuns no disappointment. All I wanted was Nerites 😃

I’ve heard folks say each type is better at different things ie. some do windows some plants some gravel etc and different things like that. I believe you have at least 😍one of each type now.  I would love to see you journal the difference in activities, activity levels, sleeping position preference (ex my little olive nerit sleeps under the gravel against the glass I’ve heard others say xyz sleeps at the water line) and well pretty much all things nerite 😁

On 5/12/2022 at 4:50 PM, Guppysnail said:

I’ve heard folks say each type is better at different things ie. some do windows some plants some gravel etc and different things like that. I believe you have at least 😍one of each type now.  I would love to see you journal the difference in activities, activity levels, sleeping position preference (ex my little olive nerit sleeps under the gravel against the glass I’ve heard others say xyz sleeps at the water line) and well pretty much all things nerite 😁

Haha I do have almost one of each although 3 zebra cause they are the most common. The hair nerites tunnel under the substrate most of their life. Kinda makes me want another one to help stir the substrate more but they have been sold out on aquatic arts for awhile now. I have a yellow and black striped horned one that pretty much hangs out on top of my rock decor and cleans that 24/7. I've seen him (confident it's a him cause no eggs on that rock) on the glass occasionally but he seems to like the algae on that rock. The zebras do seem to like the glass more. I had a tiger for a very brief time but it died shortly after arriving in the mail so I can't speak on them.  I've never had racers so also can't speak on them. 

20220512_180241.jpg

I love that the hair ones tunnel cause most tunneling snails are much larger and therefore uproot plants. It's an amazing way to stir substrate without that risk

On 5/12/2022 at 4:53 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Guppysnail pretty close to having 1 of most that's for sure. One of the three is a solid dark brown almost black. Not sure what that one would be. And while @Cinnebuns is correct in pointing out the one red is a Zebra (and no shock the big box label is/was wrong) I don't have a Red Racer at the moment. A goal to live up to!

Oh right that reminds me i did have one of the solid black ones once. I rarely saw him tho so idk what he's like really. Maybe he was a digger too? One day parameters went bad middle of the night and he went for a walk. Found him in my bathroom the next morning. He survived 2 more days but then passed. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2022 at 4:53 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

One of the three is a solid dark brown almost black.

If it's the one in the photo, I think it's a black racer. It looks like mine.

@Guppysnail I think mine is a black racer and he goes all over the place when he's awake. I've never seen him on the heater or the sponge filter, but everywhere else is fair game. He likes to sleep upside down on the underside of my fake rock cave.

• Like 2

One of my ramshorns died and the soft tissue came out. I decided to put the empty shell in my newly hatched mystery snail snabies tank so they can noms for calcium. Look! Baby snail inside dead snail! Am I weird for finding that entertaining? 

20220512_212543.jpg

On 5/12/2022 at 3:44 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I'm slightly tempted to start a "big box stores stories" thread but I have a feeling that could turn ugly. Fun stories are ok but I wouldn't want it to turn into bashing a bunch. 

I don't think there's a way to do it that would stay in alignment with the values of the forum....

Maybe a "What's the craziest thing you have heard about aquarium keeping?" would work?

Finding mysterious empty bladder snail shells in the tank with endlers, shrimp, kuhlis and a dwarf crayfish (a gentle Texas one, not the aggressive orange ones). Whodunnit?

I'm having to break down my qt/plant nursery tank in the basement after it developed BGA badly from some red root floaters I bought that smelled a bit "odd" (lesson learned). The only thing in there is BGA smears on the glass and 3 baby java ferns... yet the ramshorns that came in on the floaters are multiplying by the day!

Watched my zebra nerite cruise around yesterday with a blue jelly shrimp rider that is slowly clearing off an impressive layer of algae of it's shell.

Lots of this going on in the new 55. I thought there was only one when I planted it on 4/20. Not anymore! I did have quite a few bladder snails I threw in, but not seeing as many of them now. 

20220430_002105.jpg.47d96c652adfdbe413b32f77a6c1e51a.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 8:09 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

break down my qt/plant nursery tank in the basement after it developed BGA badly from some red root floaters I bought that smelled a bit "odd"

I discovered that dropping those "odd smelling" plants in a 50/50 solution of H2O2 will kill the BGA... and hair algae, too!

Let soak for an hour and if you gently rub the leaves between your fingers they will look beautiful in your tank.

Red plants can only handle a 30 minute dip, and may need a repeat application. 

Tissue culture plants and extremely sensitive plants, limit to 15 minutes. 

It's how I got rid of the cyanobacteria in my T4' tank (Patient Spouse's™️ tank)... cleaning, pruning, and patience 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 1:56 PM, Torrey said:

I discovered that dropping those "odd smelling" plants in a 50/50 solution of H2O2 will kill the BGA... and hair algae, too!

Let soak for an hour and if you gently rub the leaves between your fingers they will look beautiful in your tank.

Red plants can only handle a 30 minute dip, and may need a repeat application. 

Tissue culture plants and extremely sensitive plants, limit to 15 minutes. 

It's how I got rid of the cyanobacteria in my T4' tank (Patient Spouse's™️ tank)... cleaning, pruning, and patience 

I've seen "recipes" for plant dips with peroxide, just not as high - have you seen the vid Prime Time Aquatics did about it? I used his percentage to treat my oversize wood that I couldn't boil and it worked out well. I did want to try it to treat a java fern that got overrun with algae when I first got started again last year. I went with his formula once I found out he was a biology (marine bio?) professor - his more technical vids have always had solid science that I've watched so far.

This was my first experience with BGA, so now I will recognize it immediately - very distinctive. I found a good product to treat it that I covered in my sidbyside blog, I just didn't want to waste it on my QT tank that really needed to be set up better anyway. I basically kept the water from my leak test, added a filter and heater and threw in plants. I need to do better before using it for any fish, which will be in a few weeks for the 75s as we get close to the stand in the house 🙂

Edited by Jawjagrrl