Any help identifying this native plant I found in a creek?

There are plant identification apps you can download. Simply snap a picture, then upload, and the database will offer several matches. I know that they work well for native species, i haven't tried one yet for aquarium plants. Try one (there's lots of apps) good luck! let us know what you find

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 7:03 PM, CornAndCrawlers said:

Hi, I live in Iowa and found some of these heavily rooted plants in a nearby creek. I'm still looking to get my hands on a reference book or reference website or reference app, but until then I thought I'd see if any of you nerms can help. 

Anyone know what this is? 

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 7.29.40 PM.png

This should help with ID, I don't recognize it.

https://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/fish/research/AquaticPlantID2.pdf

Don't think it's a Vallisneria; while the sample shown is short, it does look to be a stemmed plant with opposite leaves, at least to me. Given they were found in a creekbed, I'd assume they're emergent, but with the aquatic plant identification piece linked by @Torrey, I'd guess one of the Najas? Possibly Najas foliosus or Najas guadalupensis?

On 5/15/2022 at 12:41 AM, Baphijmm said:

Don't think it's a Vallisneria; while the sample shown is short, it does look to be a stemmed plant with opposite leaves, at least to me. Given they were found in a creekbed, I'd assume they're emergent, but with the aquatic plant identification piece linked by @Torrey, I'd guess one of the Najas? Possibly Najas foliosus or Najas guadalupensis?

The leaves looked to fleshy for najas? I'm looking for another resource, because I know there are way more species up there, both invasive and indigenous.

PS @Baphijmm next time you make it up to Albuquerque, do you want to grab coffee at Little Bear? Talk fish and solar arrays😁

On 5/14/2022 at 11:32 PM, Torrey said:

Maybe water celery??

Looks close. Missing a lot of length on the leaves.  Going through the ppt right now.
image.png.e6ed8bfda19573e71cc75aedac46cf24.png
Maybe this one?  (a gigantic variant of it at least) - Sagittaria
image.png.c717ba72feb23d711533a7178ff97976.png

I don't see that stacking / layered chute on these though. Definitely a difficult one to ID until it grows a bit.  I assume it was taken submersed growth?

The only thing that looks close besides the two above is bulrush and/or some of the cattails

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 5/15/2022 at 1:05 AM, Torrey said:

PS @Baphijmm next time you make it up to Albuquerque, do you want to grab coffee at Little Bear? Talk fish and solar arrays😁

Possibly! I don't really do coffee, but we could hang out. This week I've got plans around the house, but we could coordinate. 😛

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2022 at 10:39 AM, Torrey said:

The leaves look more flat, not round.

very true.  It's hard to tell because the plant looks like it's been chewed up or beat up a bit.  The other 2 I mentioned you'd have to see what it looks like growing out of the water, root wise, I would imagine (don't know for certain) that it's pretty hefty underwater.

I think it’s ell grass. https://store.extension.iastate.edu/product/Aquatic-Plant-Management

call your local office which in most states have them in each county. Or go online and find a place to send your picture via email and  send it. In Florida they have been very good when I caught a boa in the yard eating my chickens call the state extension office and told me the best way to euthanize the snake or find someone to give it to. Lots of farmers, landscaper, golf course superintendents, and aquatic management companies will use them as a resource.

Edited by Brandon p
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 8:04 PM, CornAndCrawlers said:

oh my gosh, thank you SO MUCH for that link. I am going to download all of those resources and make binders for myself. So much useful information!

My sister went to NCSU for forestry management, and work for F&W. Identifying invasive species has been all but beat into us, which also means identifying native species... which requires knowing the available resources for identification.