Quarantine tank question

mtnmonster

I have an already established 10 gallon that I moved some platys to my main 20 gallon tank. Currently the only inhabitants are 2 mystery snails and a handful of bladder snails. I stopped by the lfs and got 2 male guppies and 2 blue platys.  Instead of setting up a quarantine tank can I use this cycled 10 gal? I'm using the quarantine trio so it doesn't hurt the snails and plants. My plans are to keep the guppies in this 10 and move the platys to the 20 gal after quarantine. 

Yes you can.  However if they happen to come in with something particularly nasty you may need to strip the tank to disinfect.  If it is a trusted and or very reputable source I would use the tank.  An unknown to me or not widely known and respected vendor I would do a tote qt.  Bare bottom is easier if they come in with internal worms and such so you can vac them off the bottom.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 10 gallon quarantine tank. I planned to quarantine a fish for 4 weeks. However, I did end up adding a few more fish. Should I reset the "timer" for everybody or should I transfer the first fish to main tank when her 4 week timer is up?

Fish 1 added 5/4

Fish 2 added 5/13

Fish 3-6 added 5/17

I choose not to pretreat fish with meds. I prefer to observe. However, fish 1 & 2 underwent a paracleanse treatment because fish 1 had white poops and fish 2 (moved from main tank) had wasting disease. Paracleanse treatment per box instructions. 5 course treatment 5/13-5/18 (so the 5/17 fish ending up soaking in Paracleanse for a day as well).

I didn't plan to add fish on a staggered schedule, actually. It just kind of happened. Noticing the one with wasting disease in the main tank and then finally finding the fish I had been looking for for several weeks at the store.

On 5/18/2022 at 8:30 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I have a 10 gallon quarantine tank. I planned to quarantine a fish for 4 weeks. However, I did end up adding a few more fish. Should I reset the "timer" for everybody or should I transfer the first fish to main tank when her 4 week timer is up?

Fish 1 added 5/4

Fish 2 added 5/13

Fish 3-6 added 5/17

I choose not to pretreat fish with meds. I prefer to observe. However, fish 1 & 2 underwent a paracleanse treatment because fish 1 had white poops and fish 2 (moved from main tank) had wasting disease. Paracleanse treatment per box instructions. 5 course treatment 5/13-5/18 (so the 5/17 fish ending up soaking in Paracleanse for a day as well).

I didn't plan to add fish on a staggered schedule, actually. It just kind of happened. Noticing the one with wasting disease in the main tank and then finally finding the fish I had been looking for for several weeks at the store.

I would reset the timer as the first fish have now been exposed to whatever the new fish may have brought with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Ok thanks!

Next question. All the fish are looking healthy but I noticed this white film on the heater cord and airline tubing. Any ideas? I also noticed some of it flaking off and floating around during the water change. Looked like white-ish clear fish food flakes but it is not food.

The only treatment in the tank was paracleanse. That was a 5 day treatment followed by 30% water change per box instructions. Conditioner is Aquasafe plus. 

AE1E8D27-0898-4065-9919-512ECA999517.jpeg

A8249324-763F-47AA-BC4B-1B542343AB84.jpeg

On 5/20/2022 at 2:35 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Next question. All the fish are looking healthy but I noticed this white film on the heater cord and airline tubing. Any ideas? I also noticed some of it flaking off and floating around during the water change. Looked like white-ish clear fish food flakes but it is not food.

Definitely harmless. If you have more flow it should go away, but it's just part of a new tank.  When my siblings had it on their tanks, I would just run my hand along the cables every time before I gravel vac.  Once you have a good cycle in the tank it should be minimal or disappear.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2022 at 4:14 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Thanks. Yeah, I have seen it on driftwood before but then it looked more a slimy goo than this flaky stuff.  I know biofilm is a good thing, so I will just leave it there. The heater and airline tubing that it is noticeable on are the new items in the tank.

I had that and my Bristle Nose ate it all. 

• Like 1

Yes you can.  If they do have something nasty … some might say don’t worry about it.   Leaving the tank fish-less - no host..   just let the tank run empty.   
maybe a 2-3 weeks.   I say it’s only 10 gallons.   Break it down and clean.   
Good Luck. 

• Like 1