Convince me

Cinnebuns

I'm figuring out my tank situation. I have been working on my tank setup as well as considering adding a 2nd display tank. Long story short, I lost 2 10-gallon tanks. I already replaced one. I found an amazing deal on marketplace for a 10 gallon + hood and light + filter + heater for $10. I raced to pick this deal up in a nearby town. While in that town, I decided to stop by petsmart since I had to go by it anyway. They have kits on sale. Originally I intended this 2nd display tank to be a 10 gallon but I impulse bought a 20 high. Unfortunately they didn't have 20 long. 

Now I'm trying to decide if I NEED a 20 or just WANT it over a 10. I can still return it. I already have a 29 gallon. It's pretty fully stocked with snails lol, but could fit in some mid-top action. Bioload wise might need another filter but it could handle a few more fish.

One use I'm considering for this tank to have is to grow out my juvenile panda cories that I don't plan to keep. I found out from experience, those buggers are a hard fish to catch. I would prefer to not have the "sell" ones mixed in with the "keep" ones this use would mean the 20 would be far more helpful so I can keep some other fish (AND SNAILS) with them. 

Now, I do have the space to do that in a breeder tank which would completely give me a blank slate. That would make a 10 make sense for other reasons. Mostly, the stand. I found another great deal on marketplace for a tank, stand, all the trimmings. The stand is 20 inches wide whereas a 20 gallon tank is 24 inches. I am taking the stand either way. If I decide to go with the 20 gallon I will ask my uncle to build an extension on it. 

Tbh, I haven't fully decided what I want to put in this tank. Ideas do include the panda grow out, killifish breeding, or even a different kind of cory + schooling fish of some sort. Betta is always a consideration. 

I guess what I'm asking for the most is this: what are some logical reasons for a 20 instead of a 10?  Emotions say ALL THE TANKS!!  Reality is different. My mom says "but more water is more work" to which I say "larger tanks are more stable" however there is truth to both. Also, she knows NOTHING about aquariums lol

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 2:36 AM, Cinnebuns said:

I'm figuring out my tank situation. I have been working on my tank setup as well as considering adding a 2nd display tank. Long story short, I lost 2 10-gallon tanks. I already replaced one. I found an amazing deal on marketplace for a 10 gallon + hood and light + filter + heater for $10. I raced to pick this deal up in a nearby town. While in that town, I decided to stop by petsmart since I had to go by it anyway. They have kits on sale. Originally I intended this 2nd display tank to be a 10 gallon but I impulse bought a 20 high. Unfortunately they didn't have 20 long. 

Now I'm trying to decide if I NEED a 20 or just WANT it over a 10. I can still return it. I already have a 29 gallon. It's pretty fully stocked with snails lol, but could fit in some mid-top action. Bioload wise might need another filter but it could handle a few more fish.

One use I'm considering for this tank to have is to grow out my juvenile panda cories that I don't plan to keep. I found out from experience, those buggers are a hard fish to catch. I would prefer to not have the "sell" ones mixed in with the "keep" ones this use would mean the 20 would be far more helpful so I can keep some other fish (AND SNAILS) with them. 

Now, I do have the space to do that in a breeder tank which would completely give me a blank slate. That would make a 10 make sense for other reasons. Mostly, the stand. I found another great deal on marketplace for a tank, stand, all the trimmings. The stand is 20 inches wide whereas a 20 gallon tank is 24 inches. I am taking the stand either way. If I decide to go with the 20 gallon I will ask my uncle to build an extension on it. 

Tbh, I haven't fully decided what I want to put in this tank. Ideas do include the panda grow out, killifish breeding, or even a different kind of cory + schooling fish of some sort. Betta is always a consideration. 

I guess what I'm asking for the most is this: what are some logical reasons for a 20 instead of a 10?  Emotions say ALL THE TANKS!!  Reality is different. My mom says "but more water is more work" to which I say "larger tanks are more stable" however there is truth to both. Also, she knows NOTHING about aquariums lol

1. As hobbiest no one truly needs another tank.  So the criteria for this decision is something like:

- can I afford another tank? (Do you have the cash to buy and set up a new tank, can you afford the ongoing expense)
- Do I have room in my life to care for another tank? (Do you have time, energy, etc for another tank without sacrificing the important things in life?)
- How does this support my goals in the hobby? 

2. If you decide to use the 20 for grow out, bigger tanks encourage faster growth

3. A panda grow out does not exclude adding other fish like a betta, or killies 

4 Mom is always right.  But in this case, the added work between a 10 and 20 gallon tank is nominal because a significant amount of time for maintenance is getting ready and clean up.  Now if you are comparing adding a tank to not having a tank……. Just say yes ma’am.

• Like 3

When it comes to tanks (non funny shapes) it really all depends on what you want to keep, the space you have available, and optimally how much time you're able to sink into the maintenance. 20H's have their place, but like a lot of people (me included) prefer the 20L for the additional floor space. A 2' tank is nice when you're used to the 20" tank floor print (10 gallon), but depending on what you're looking to keep or for a display with a hardscape, 2' might not be as ideal as 30". 

If you're up in the air, refer back to your plans. You mentioned raising out Cory babies. If it were me the 20H would be going back and I'd be on the hunt for a 20L as a replacement. In terms of modifying the stand, depending on the material it's built out of it can be done, but if it's a particle board stand I would spend less effort and money modifying it and replacing it with something more solid. If space is a concern, you might want to consider the 20L if you're able to move the 29 to a double tank stand with the 20L on the bottom and the 29 on the top. This would consolidate the tanks. Just try to find a stand that doesn't put the 20L too low to the ground to make it easier to keep an eye on and appreciate. A tank you don't see as easily is generally the first tank that ends up getting neglected. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 9:32 AM, Tihshho said:

If it were me the 20H would be going back and I'd be on the hunt for a 20L as a replacement.

When I got the 20H I asked them if they had a 20L. Not only did they not have it ik stock but he checked and they don't have a 20L kit offered period. 

On 4/25/2022 at 9:32 AM, Tihshho said:

If space is a concern, you might want to consider the 20L if you're able to move the 29 to a double tank stand with the 20L on the bottom and the 29 on the top.

This is why I decided to get the 20H instead of hunting for a 20L. I realized I only have about 26-28' to work with in the space I had planned. I love the double tank stand idea but financially it wouldn't work. I already have access to 2 stands and couldn't afford to buy a double. 

On 4/25/2022 at 12:36 AM, Cinnebuns said:

I would absolutely use the 20 over a 10 in any case.  Your filter size, your water changes, it all balances out nicely on a 20 compared to a 10. When I change my 10G QT setup I always hate how harsh the water is when I pour it back in. I don't like that I put in one piece of something and feel like the tank is full. Having space for the scape and the fish is pretty important to me.  Minimum tank for me is usually a 29G. I really like the 20L for other uses, but the height of a 29G is something I really enjoy to give the fish some division.  That being said..... exactly what you have, 20H is right at the minimum and saves you some footprint, gives some verticality. Perfect choice if you're space limited.  I also can't get my stupid 10G lid to stay open because it's so small and the hinge is made of space plastic or something and snaps back whenever I open it.

On 4/25/2022 at 8:04 AM, Cinnebuns said:

When I got the 20H I asked them if they had a 20L. Not only did they not have it ik stock but he checked and they don't have a 20L kit offered period. 

petco might, they tend to have slightly different availability and aqueon loves making 20L tanks.

On 4/25/2022 at 12:36 AM, Cinnebuns said:

The stand is 20 inches wide whereas a 20 gallon tank is 24 inches. I am taking the stand either way. If I decide to go with the 20 gallon I will ask my uncle to build an extension on it.

a 20X is 20" long. Would fit without modifying the stand.

On 4/25/2022 at 1:09 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

petco might, they tend to have slightly different availability and aqueon loves making 20L tanks.

Petco isn't near me plus petsmart is currently running a sale. 

On 4/25/2022 at 1:09 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

20X is 20" long. Would fit without modifying the stand.

I checked the box to double check but it is 24' long. I think a 20L is even 30'

• Like 1