Is it possible to add fertilizer too often?

I have a fairly heavily planted 13 gallon with lots of water column feeders (Amazon sword as well that has root tabs) and I feel like I am constantly checking water and finding I don’t have any nitrates (nitrites or nitrates) despite adding 2-3 pumps of easy green 1-2 days before. I just wanted to be sure that there isn’t a technical max if my plants and fish are happy. The new Java fern leaves have a very dark tip and other plants may yellow tips here and there, so I think they are definitely going through the fertilizer faster than I would’ve thought. 

Just as you can overdose fertilizer in the garden (which leads to a well-known phenomenon called "fertilizer burn"), so too can you overdose fertilizer in the tank. In the case of the aquarium, the ferts will likely just sit in the water if the plants don't use it, so it's not terribly dangerous to them; however, it can be pretty dangerous to the other tank inhabitants, depending on what they are and how much you're overdosing.

I would get an alternate test kit or have the water tested at the LFS to confirm that you are indeed seeing 0 Nitrates. If the Nitrates are being consumed, I don't think there is any risk adding more fertilizer, but if your measurements are off you could already have too many Nitrates.

You are more likely to add to much fertilizer to the water and not trough tabs. Swords tend to going through fertilizer very fast. A heavily planted tank with the way should be ok with a heavily planted tank . If you are going to cut back don’t stop or reduce the root tabs.  What types of plants do you have other that the swords