How to Cover a Kiddie Pool

CalmedByFish

I have a flimsy plastic kiddie pool that's almost 4 feet across. I put platies in it today, and 4 soon jumped out. (I put them back.)

I don't think parameters is the issue. These platies were born with me, so I know they've got the same parameters they've always had. But the pool is much shallower and wider than they're used to, so I'm guessing that's why they're bothered. Even after adding hiding places all the way around the edge, they still jump.

Do you know how I could cover the pool to keep them in? Some kind of screen? Mesh? 

• Like 1

I suspect you'll need a screen of sorts to award off predators as well.

If I were doing this, I'd cut a large piece of screen. Check out this option:

997596063_ScreenShot2022-04-21at1_12_41AM.png.285db07bf8b59d9e0315eda9cbeaabb1.png

I'd probably try to DIY a solid ring around the outside to attach the screen to. Non-plumbing, furniture-grade adjustable joints could be glued to pieces of PVC to create an 8 (or more) sided shape to fit over top of your pool...

1394514236_ScreenShot2022-04-21at1_15_41AM.png.17c20a2555ccac7c880a38cae162da96.png

But this is all very expensive. Maybe a roll of chickenwire with twisty wire to connect pieces would be cheaper and suffice to keep Herons and Racoons out. Once they discover your Kiddie pool, your fish are gone. Absolutely GONE. 

• Like 1

Bird netting from the local farm store, agr. supplier, and landscapers. is often used on new lawns, gardens, and small ponds to keep fish in, or birds and other critters out. In the pond it is sometimes used on the waters surface rendering it nearly invisible.