Middle price lights?

Patrick_G

I’m starting to think I really need to upgrade my lights on my 75 gal tank, especially since I added glass lids that steam up and block light.   I’m currently running two Nicrew RGB plus lights. They’re good lights but I think they don’t have quite enough punch to get down into the shady spots of this tank.  Ideally I would get two Fluval 3.0 or one Chihiros WRGB 2, but either option would cost about $450ish. 

I’m thinking that two Finnex ALC series might work. Total cost would be $240.  

4281461D-401E-4658-BF2D-331F713A71DA.jpeg.ca8774a2aabdf3f711c2076337669b30.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 7:44 PM, Patrick_G said:

Ideally I would get two Fluval 3.0 or one Chihiros WRGB 2, but either option would cost about $450ish. 

I’m thinking that two Finnex ALC series might work. Total cost would be $240.  

I would highly recommend the Fluval planted.  If you're sticking to that price range I don't think much beats it until you get into the extremely nice stuff like what King of DIY has on some of his tanks.

On my 75 I had one fluval planted and didn't have issues. You can get one now, then get another when you need it. OR you can run the nicrew and the planted 2.0 (3 in total) if you absolutely need to.

Because of how close the fluvals are designed to sit on the lid, they can help to minimize the air gap (added refraction) on the LED ---> Lid --> Air ---> Water refraction issue.  Something else to keep in mind in comparison to all of the other shapes of lights on the market.

You might also get a Fluval now, then a co-op light when released.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 5:42 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Looking through the chart, at least you can rest assured that nearly all of them have the critical feature of "moonlights".  *wipes brow* 

Yeah.... I saw that when looking at the LED array itself.

Finnex ALC Series:
image.png.63fb2b58494af36571e4014bd96dad3e.png

Fluval planted:

image.png.ddb6c71c546681a695e78ee3fd0ee8dd.png

I see a lot of the "moonlight" / blue LEDs that we all just wish we could remove or turn off to reduce algae issues. There is such a difference in construction and what LEDs are present (in what density) and for what reason. 

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 12:09 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

that we all just wish we could remove or turn off to reduce algae issues

Oh no, I have a tank that I have under predominantly blue light and there are zero algae issues.  That's not a concern.  However, I don't understand the appeal of having a dim blue light on for hours at night.  Perhaps it is important for some saltwater inverts?  They do weird things.  Don't know.

The Three Hardest Words for Leaders: "I Don't Know" - From ...

On 4/16/2022 at 10:21 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Oh no, I have a tank that I have under predominantly blue light and there are zero algae issues.  That's not a concern.  However, I don't understand the appeal of having a dim blue light on for hours at night.  Perhaps it is important for some saltwater inverts?  They do weird things.  Don't know.

what do you mean by "predominately blue light"?  There is a big difference between blue LEDs and the warm / cool spectrum of light.

Blue lighting can cause excess algae in freshwater and low Kelvin lighting, peaking in the red, can encourage algae in marine aquaria. Bulbs and tubes degrade over time, lowering their Kelvin rating, possibly causing more algae and producing light less useable by plants or corals.

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/problem-solver-nuisance-algae/

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 4/16/2022 at 12:23 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

There is a big difference between blue LEDs and the warm / cool spectrum of light.

Yup, I understand that.  I don't want to get too far off topic here, so I'll make it short (for me).  I have a light that you can control the intensity of the red, blue, green, and white LED lights.  My blue LED bulbs are turned up the brightest.  If you want to see, you can click on the "Pesudo Saltwater Journal" link in my signature.  But, the going belief about blue lights and algae doesn't hold true for me at all.  I only have to clean the acrylic like once a month in there, and there's basically no algae on the rocks (well, I am doing my best to maintain some diatoms because I like the look).  I had way more trouble with algae when I had less blue light

• Like 1

When I first got a light with this moonlight mode I thought it was great. I had never had a light with adjustable output level, and the subdued light that moonlight mode provided was a great new way to enjoy the tank. Then I discovered the same subdued effect could be had with a lowered intensity of white light. Now I like the white subdued effect better than the moonlight mode.

• Like 1

I think I might borrow the aquarium club’s par meter to get a baseline for what level I have now.  I’d like to go for the budget option but if it’s only a small percentage increase in par it’ll be easier to justify one of the more expensive options. My goal is to maximize the amount of light I can use without adding Co2, although that might be something I set up in the future. 

To be clear, the Nicrew RBG plus is a great light. The low light plants in this tank grow very well, but I have trouble with some stem plants and some substrate level plants like dwarf hairgrass, microsword, pearlweed. I’d also like my red tiger lotus to stay red and my pink crypt to stay pink. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 10:49 AM, Patrick_G said:

I think I might borrow the aquarium club’s par meter to get a baseline for what level I have now.  I’d like to go for the budget option but if it’s only a small percentage increase in par it’ll be easier to justify one of the more expensive options. My goal is to maximize the amount of light I can use without adding Co2, although that might be something I set up in the future. 

In the fluval 3.0 video there is PAR measurements on a 125G tank for both the 2.0 and 3.0 lights. I am trying to find one that he did with the vlogs but it's just so difficult to scrub through all of those videos. I know he tested a few lights.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 11:23 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

In the fluval 3.0 video there is PAR measurements on a 125G tank for both the 2.0 and 3.0 lights. I am trying to find one that he did with the vlogs but it's just so difficult to scrub through all of those videos. I know he tested a few lights.

Are you thinking of the Aquarium Co-op video or the Bentley Pascoe one? 

On 4/16/2022 at 1:04 PM, Patrick_G said:

now I’m wondering if our thoughts on how blue light affects algae is actually just confirmation bias. Maybe it’s just less par in general that’s responsible.

That's a great question, sir!  I don't know of any rigorous studies looking at this specifically.  It could be that there are algal species that do better than most of the vascular plants in our tanks under blue light.  That's a real possibility, although there is no reason to believe that it must be the case a priori.  Part of the problem is the tendency to lump all algal species into the same bin.  They are incredibly diverse, which is I point I feel I make often enough around here to now have crossed the line into being annoying about it.  But we do know very well the photosynthetic processes of light response curves, and how species can separate out on light availability gradients.  So, your PAR suspension has merit drawn from a large body of our existing understanding. 

Okay, I have to get off the computer today.  Ah, look at the time!  I've got stuff to do.  Gotta go!

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 11:26 AM, Patrick_G said:

Are you thinking of the Aquarium Co-op video or the Bentley Pascoe one? 

Bentley might have one.... I don't know if he did finnex. I know Cory has a few that are useful but they aren't dedicated videos. (some of which are unlisted now and only show up if you go through playlists).  But I was going to go through some of the daily dose videos he did when he had the PAR meter for a week or two.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 11:35 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Bentley might have one.... I don't know if he did finnex. I know Cory has a few that are useful but they aren't dedicated videos. (some of which are unlisted now and only show up if you go through playlists).  But I was going to go through some of the daily dose videos he did when he had the PAR meter for a week or two.

Ha! I though some might have been made not searchable or something. I’m not going crazy after all!

• Haha 1

I seem to be late to the thread but have you considered hanging grow lights above the tank? I've been doing some preliminary research since getting my new rack and I'm seriously considering grow light panels to light each shelf instead of getting a light for each tank. The main drawback is that these aren't waterproofed, but truth be told most mid-range aquarium lights aren't either so I wouldn't call it much of a drawback. The main drawback would be rigging the lights.

• Like 2

@Patrick_GI have the Finnex. Think it’s the HLC. It was half the price of a Fluval 3.0. I run it at 100% 10 hours a day with 2 siestas. I have it on my 45 g so it’s on a pretty deep tank. I am getting some good color in my bacopa, crypts, swords and lotus. The fish look great - you really see all of the color on Spikey Feathers my Festivum and Blue my EBA. I have an Aquasky and love the app. Wish I had it on the 45 g but every time I think about buying a 3.0 I just end spending the money somewhere else and lately I think I’m happy with that decision. Doesn’t mean I’m not on FB marketplace looking for 3.0s!

• Like 2

@ange I did consider that when I first set up the tank and I’d still consider doing a DIY setup with led grow panels. The main consideration is finding a light has the right balance of price, par and convenience. I have some grow light panels for terrestrial plants. I think I’ll do a bit of research on using them over a tank. 

• Like 1