Crooked spines?!!

JoefishGofish

Glad to see improvement.

I was randomly searching their shop and tried to find the video or information.  This is from Goliad Farms, as mentioned, some interesting stuff on the topic.

How does inbreeding let you purge bad characteristics? It exposes those breeders carrying recessive deleterious genes. Here’s an example from our hatchery. Long ago we got a small group of Ameca splendens, a livebearing fish from Mexico. In that small group was at least one fish with a recessive gene causing a bent spine between the dorsal fin and the caudal fin. To eliminate the gene, I could have set up test crosses. Each potential breeder (meaning not bent) could have been mated to fish with bent spines. If all the offspring were non-bent, then the breeder could be retained. Of course, all those offspring would have to culled since they carried the deleterious recessive. But that procedure isn’t practical in our operations and it deliberately produces bad fish, so I chose another way of purging the gene. Every generation I replaced all the breeders with their offspring. All the bent spine fish were purged. Within a few generations the gene was eliminated. For those who took college genetics and are familiar with Harding-Weinberg equilibrium equations, you can run the equations through a few generations and see why that worked. Maybe someday, if there is demand for it, I’ll do a blog featuring and demonstrating Harding-Weinberg equations.

https://goliadfarms.com/developing-and-setting-a-new-fish-strain/

• Like 2

On 4/16/2022 at 7:53 AM, JoefishGofish said:

We’ll, amazingly there is only 1 fry now with a crooked spine.
Either the others straightened out or they grew legs and crawled out of the tank!

Very curious. 

Yes that happen to me a few time..and those I already cull..will get bend back later one alsi..its so weird 

• Like 1

Such an interesting thread, brings up a few points I was not even thinking about. Not just with shiners but things to look out for, the importance of water parameters, and paying attention to what’s being fed a lot closer. Really got me thinking like…6A5558F2-DD41-4AFF-B834-D8249A582C93.jpeg.2144ab884a72807ab790dde3010933bc.jpeg