Another fin rot question.

BF McUmber

Hello all, 

I bought 3 guppies about 5 weeks ago, two females and one male. I did the quarantine trio when I got them and did the paracleanse follow up. The females seem to be doing amazing. The male is a little bit thinner in the belly, but I assume that is to be expected. When I brought him home the very end of his tail looked good even though it did look a little frayed. It maintained its frayed appearance, then about a week and a half I noticed two V's cutting into his nice hemisphere tail. He eats good and has consistently been gaining color.... (the wrong color but whatever the girls are as advertised) he is also quite active swimming around the tank. 

I've been looking at videos and pictures to see if it is fin rot or not. From what I'm finding the fact that it has the V's in it is more likely that the girls are nipping on him. Also I have not noticed any slime trails coming off his tail. When I noticed the V's I thought it would not hurt to put salt in, so I did. Then 7 days later added Maracyn when it did not look any better. What should I be looking for to eliminate fin rot as a source?   

20220404_213433.jpg

20220404_213223.jpg

20220404_213746.jpg

20220404_204729.jpg

Edited by BF McUmber

With fin rot the flesh looks sore and you get red edges where the flesh is dieing. In some fish you see red veins through the trail bit they would be hard to spot on a guppy. It also takes the trail down the whole edge at once and works up towards the fish ( bit like when I leaf is dieing) it doesn't just take chunks out

To my eye that looks more like damage from other fish or sharp items hopefully it will settle down and heal up for you soon. The salt and maracyn will have helped against any infection. Fins can take a few weeks to restore themselves so just make sure it isn't getting worse.

Tip top water parameters will help speed the process

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2022 at 2:28 AM, Flumpweesel said:

With fin rot the flesh looks sore and you get red edges where the flesh is dieing. In some fish you see red veins through the trail bit they would be hard to spot on a guppy. It also takes the trail down the whole edge at once and works up towards the fish ( bit like when I leaf is dieing) it doesn't just take chunks out

To my eye that looks more like damage from other fish or sharp items hopefully it will settle down and heal up for you soon. The salt and maracyn will have helped against any infection. Fins can take a few weeks to restore themselves so just make sure it isn't getting worse.

Tip top water parameters will help speed the process

Excellent,  thank you. Is it likely that they are rowdy because there are only 3 of them, and that they are only 5 weeks in the new tank? That maybe when they breed some more they will calm down? 

Or could I need to feed more? I only feed them once a day right now. 

Tank conditions are 73 degrees. 8.2ph, 13 gh, 8kh, 10 nitrates,  0 ammonia,  0 nitrite. 

I would feed guppies twice a day as it takes a lot of energy with males constantly chasing the females and carrying the weight of its long fins and females being constantly pregnant

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

The v’s and chunks look like when my girls say enough is enough to my long flowy tail boys. I’ve actually gotten to see it happen to verify that’s what was happening.  The clear new growth at the end of the girls tails look very healthy. I can also see healthy clear new growth on the boys with the chunks missing so I would not think it is fin rot as that would vanish first. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2022 at 8:58 AM, Guppysnail said:

The v’s and chunks look like when my girls say enough is enough to my long flowy tail boys. I’ve actually gotten to see it happen to verify that’s what was happening.  The clear new growth at the end of the girls tails look very healthy. I can also see healthy clear new growth on the boys with the chunks missing so I would not think it is fin rot as that would vanish first. 

So they are go to go in the show tank whenever I want then?

Do you have to slowly ween the salt down?

I kind of want to get one spawn before moving them if possible, but may have the male make a solo trip first. 

On 4/5/2022 at 5:19 PM, BF McUmber said:

So they are go to go in the show tank whenever I want then?

Do you have to slowly ween the salt down?

I kind of want to get one spawn before moving them if possible, but may have the male make a solo trip first. 

Slowly change out water 20%  each day. After a week do a 50% again. Then wait a week is how I’ve removed salt in the past. I don’t know what best practice removal is though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1