Duckweed is

On 4/13/2022 at 2:40 PM, Guppy Guy said:

Have you replaced the tyme on pork chops with duckweed yet? I will(maybe) try it soon. I just have to get it to grow first! 😂 

It's definitely not in the same flavor category as thyme... It's a great protein source and is best in stirfry, soups, and mixed in with other veggies.. with excellent seasoning! Alone? ummm... 11 out of 10 do not recommend, and steaming it alone makes the house smell... interesting. Not quite fishy, not quite green.... almost like wheatgrass grown in a goldfish pond, with a whiff of algae, lol

• Like 2

On 4/13/2022 at 6:37 PM, Torrey said:

It's definitely not in the same flavor category as thyme... It's a great protein source and is best in stirfry, soups, and mixed in with other veggies.. with excellent seasoning! Alone? ummm... 11 out of 10 do not recommend, and steaming it alone makes the house smell... interesting. Not quite fishy, not quite green.... almost like wheatgrass grown in a goldfish pond, with a whiff of algae, lol

Talked me into, and out of trying it in one post. 

I've been growing it on the window sill for two projects:  First to add to the ponds this month, and  second: to see who is faster, the duckweed  or the barb

On 4/20/2022 at 6:19 PM, Dancing Matt said:

I feel compelled to remind everyone that certain species are considered edible and that they can filter out toxins from the water so do your research before you dive in to a side of these... greens?

I don't think anyone is seriously eating duckweed, but I suppose with this litigious, no common sense society we live in a disclaimer should of been posted so I don't open myself to legal repercussions! 

• Haha 1

On 4/20/2022 at 6:43 PM, Dancing Matt said:

@JoeQ I genuinely was not sure. To be honest I am very curious about this possibility and would try some if I had the right species...

I think it snowballed from my original post where I jokingly said 'Duckweed is delicious when prepared properly'

Full disclaimer *** Anyone can eat anything once...... Once is the operative word, use discretion!!***

• Haha 2

I love putting duck weed into my Homemade-Veg'Food. the stats on the nutrients of duck weed is amazing. id cultivate it just as a cheap additive to the food but, i have too many breeding tanks to risk it spreading. It will stay only in my outside  summer pond for now, if i ever need it in the winter for food- i put out the call on my local aquarium fb group and i get free bags 😄

On 4/23/2022 at 4:40 PM, Jawjagrrl said:

They earn their keep in eggs, which is more than I can say about my fish 😉

My fish earn their keep on account of my hatred of watching television. Otherwise I consider them a support system & accent pieces for my plants! 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 1:09 PM, Guppysnail said:

…a guppy snack.  I’m not certain if I kill it or they eat it.  What they don’t devour my snails do.  Oh the nitrate control I’m missing out on 🐷 guppies

Tons of snails AND duckweed here. I wish the scuds ate it instead of my crypts!

On 4/23/2022 at 6:23 PM, JoeQ said:

My fish earn their keep on account of my hatred of watching television. Otherwise I consider them a support system & accent pieces for my plants! 

And that's a very good thing. I have the happiest orchids and African violets I've ever had since fish poop water 🙂

I'm pretty sure my bristlenose pleco was watching Better Call Saul with us last night. Jimmy has fancy goldfish in his kitchen - I get distracted by them any time a scene happens in the kitchen.

• Love 1