Dwarf Cichlids and Aggression

Saltinthedesert

6 hours ago, Dean’s Fishroom said:

I’ve found that apistos and other dwarf cichlids are best kept in pairs or groups larger than five fish.

@Dean’s Fishroom would you say this is true for multies also?  In about a month, I'll be setting up a 20 long with multies and was planning on getting 3.  I didn't want to get too many so that I could plan for increasing numbers from fry.  Would 5 be too many to start with in a 20 long?

@SaltinthedesertI've got a group of 7 Nanacarra in a 29 gallon that have become bunch of killers. The casualty list includes Cory's, Cardinal and Rummynose Tetras. Once I saw a tetra floating with it's head bitten off I pulled all the remaining fish out. The Nanacarra have the tank all to themselves and all they do now is hide in the rocks. 

With all that being said the other dwarf cichlids I keep live relatively peaceful lives. The smallest group is 5 A.nijsseni and the largest is 12 Kribs. There will be some chasing around, they are cichlids after all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 7:05 AM, RyanR said:

@Dean’s Fishroom would you say this is true for multies also?  In about a month, I'll be setting up a 20 long with multies and was planning on getting 3.  I didn't want to get too many so that I could plan for increasing numbers from fry.  Would 5 be too many to start with in a 20 long?

I think 5 would be a great number to start with. Give them plenty of shells or other places to hide in and make their homes.

• Like 1

As far as setting up multies go I housed a ton in a 15 gallon till I had a 40 breeder for them. The males will fight when staking out a turf/ boundary conflicts . To make this easier I would put 5/7 shells in groups around the tank to establish turf and the males will take these areas. Also using potted plants/rocks or that new aquarium coop planter would work well To break up lines of sight And look much better.

limited experience with rams and apisto’s but them seem to do best in pairs. but If you had a large footprint tank like a 20L I bet you could get a colony situation going as long as have enough Distinguished turfs. By that I mean having multiple cave/plant combo areas for the pairs to hold and not see the other fish all the time.