Can general cure cure this..?

Henry, I pulled this from the Aquarium Co-op blog post:

Disease or Skinny Disease

A typical example of wasting disease looks like this: you buy 20 fish and a month later, five of them look very skinny while the rest are acting fine. Eventually those five fish pass away, and then a couple of months later, you notice five more fish are getting thinner and are also starting to die one by one. This type of livebearer disease is usually caused by internal parasites, such as tapeworms or camallanus red worms. The parasites steal nutrients from the fish’s body, causing weight loss and organ damage in the long term.

Tapeworms infest a fish’s digestive system and can cause intestinal blockages. Some symptoms include stringy poop and weight loss, but the disease can be hard to accurately diagnose without examining the feces under a microscope. That’s why we recommend that every fish gets a preventative treatment of ParaCleanse, which contains an antiparasitic drug called metronidazole and a dewormer called praziquantel. Two to three weeks after the initial treatment, you should use another round of ParaCleanse to ensure that all newly hatched eggs are also eliminated.

tapeworm eggs

Tapeworms can be difficult to identify unless you use a microscope to examine the fish's waste.

If ParaCleanse does not stop the wasting disease, you may need to try another kind of dewormer. Fritz Expel-P is very effective for treating roundworms, camallanus red worms, hookworms, and even planaria in your aquarium. While most internal parasites are invisible to the naked eye, camallanus worms are easier to spot since you can visually see small, red worms sticking out of the fish’s anus. Medications like Expel-P that contain the active ingredient of levamisole or flubendazole work by paralyzing the adult worms so that they can be expelled by the fish and removed using an aquarium siphon. Two to three weeks after the initial treatment, dose the tank again with the dewormer to deal with any remaining parasites.

Worms are particularly easy to spread because their eggs are passed through fish waste and livebearers are excellent scavengers that tend to consume infected feces. While worms also affect other species like angelfish, they usually don’t kill them because the parasites are so tiny in comparison to the large cichlids. However, when a guppy or other small livebearer gets infected, they are much smaller in size, and it only takes a few worms to wreak havoc on their health.

And yes, skinny/wasting disease is the same thing, I googled it. 🙃

*****SO YOU CAN BUY GENERAL CURE AS IT HAS THE SAME INGREDIENTS AS PARACLEANSE IF PETCO OR PETSMART DOESN'T HAVE IT*** YAY!

• Thanks 1

OH- And DON'T let the pet store employees talk you into anything else(they try). Just look for these 2 active ingredients metronidazole and praziquantel (or the alternatives as in Expel P -levamisole or flubendazole )

or just one of the 3 meds mentioned in this post. 😁

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 4:21 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Follow the General Cure instructions and do another round 2 weeks later. However keep in mind if the illness persists you may need to try Expel P

I finished the second round of general cure and gonna do the second round 2 weeks later. Although, the disease died down for a while it came back. What should I do? 😭

Edited by Henry the fish keeper

On 4/19/2022 at 10:00 PM, Henry the fish keeper said:

I finished the second round of general cure and gonna do the second round 2 weeks later. Although, the disease died down for a while it came back. What should I do? 😭

You need to use a more powerful dewormer such as Fritz Expel p or a medication containing fenbendazole with Expel p you will need to do three courses of treatment over 3 weeks 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...