Can newly purchased plants stay in their pods/planters?

I purchased some plants recently from aquariumcoop and was wondering if it was safe to leave them in the plastic planters or pods that they come in? Short term and long term? Mainly curious about Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus, and Water Sprite, but more generalized info/opinions are appreciated.

I was planning to leave them until I've had a chance to rearrange some things, and I figured that would be okay. But it got me wondering, would they be fine it you just left them in there and hid the planter under the gravel or in a decoration? Can runners and roots get out just fine, or will the plants just end up smothering themselves?

• Like 1

I agree with everyone. I like to leave them in the planters for about a month or so to let the plant get used to my aquarium and not have to worry about grow roots AND get used to my water. ESPECIALLY if I get it on sale because it may not be looking too great.

• Like 1

I've definitely left plants in pots without any issues. In fact, I have 2 right now that have been in their pots since I got them a couple of months or more ago. Some go right into place. Others stay in pots until they transition. Just depends, but I've never had any issues with plants left in pots.

• Like 1

I just started my first planted tank and really wish I had left them the way they came in so they could get used to the water and so the stem plants could grow roots before inserting them into the substrate.

It's been a week since planting and I am hoping everything makes it and is doing OK. I've done the research but my personal experience is only a week old 😔

1816411882_IMG_9310(1).jpeg.f94c9f2448dd96269ea8417633e29512.jpeg

On 3/22/2022 at 3:01 PM, Katie B. said:

I just started my first planted tank and really wish I had left them the way they came in so they could get used to the water and so the stem plants could grow roots before inserting them into the substrate.

You did the right thing. It’s not bad to leave them in the pots, but I’m not sure it’s beneficial either. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 6:01 PM, Katie B. said:

It's been a week since planting and I am hoping everything makes it and is doing OK. I've done the research but my personal experience is only a week old 😔

1816411882_IMG_9310(1).jpeg.f94c9f2448dd96269ea8417633e29512.jpeg

Katie, keep an eye on if your stems/plants are reacting to your light cycle. They will close when they had enough light and open up again in the morning hours of your cycle. This is an indication that they are doing ok. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 5:27 PM, JoeQ said:

Katie, keep an eye on if your stems/plants are reacting to your light cycle. They will close when they had enough light and open up again in the morning hours of your cycle. This is an indication that they are doing ok. 

Thanks for the advice! I have the Fluval 3.0, and have the tank on a 6 hour schedule at 50% split into two 3 hour segments.

I plan on increasing the amount of time and percentage as the weeks progress.

I have already seen new growth on some of the plants; however, two melted pretty much right away.